Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

Is there anyone there that is an expert with diets/weight problems?

Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

I may be able to help you with your wife's problem. I need to know some things:

---What is her weight, and height?

---What has she already tried for weight loss?

---Has she had a physical exam by a doctor, or her health care provider in regard to her inability to lose weight?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She is 5'6" and weighs oh boy... I have not idea...she NEVER weighs herself..even during pregnancy she steps on backwards... I'd say 180ish? She was very thin when I met her in 2003. She said she was anorexic. She ran two marathons that year as well and started gaining weight during her second. Since then she has just gained more and more. When we dated in 2003-2005 she ate very little but got better and better. She now eats well and runs 4-5 times a week (was running 7 x week!) She runs 3-7 miles. So, she eats well now, runs 4-5 x a week and she can't lose a friggin pound. I think her body was in starvation mode but I told her to eat right and your body will come back to normal (I'm a financial advisor, so I really have no idea but it makes sense). She has done everything right over the past 3 years (has had 2 kids as well, 16mo old and 3 year old). I told her to go to a nutritionist but it's just a matter of having time with 2 kids and she is a teacher as well. Please help! She doesn't want to go back to size 0-2 but she'd love to be a size 6-8 again!

Thanks!

Expert:  Valarie replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thank you for answering my questions.

If she really has tried to lose weight with absolutely no results, she would be well advised to visit her doctor for an exam and some simple blood tests to determine if there is a cause for this.

Otherwise, she will need to take a hard look at some things to find out why she is gaining, or not losing.

She is physically active, so this is very good, and better than most. However, if you eat more than you need even when active, you will still gain. So, she will have to actually weigh herself, record it. And then start a food diary to determine what, how much, how often she is eating. Then weigh herself again. It may take about a month of keeping a food and weight diary to see where the problem is.

To start with, here is a tool to help her with a diet that will promote weight loss:

Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Tool

She just needs to fill in some information about herself and it will give her the amounts of different foods she needs to eat. There is also a 4 page document she can print out that lists some foods from each group, with the serving sizes.

Losing weight can be a challenge, but it is very possible to do. The problem for most people is that it does take some time and attention and you need to be persistent.

---She needs to weight daily or weekly.

---She needs to eat everything within the pyramid plan. Balance of food groups is important for weight loss and to make sure your body gets what it needs to function properly (which includes maintenance of a good weight).

---She will need to read labels of any foods that have a mixture of ingredients.

---She needs to eat breakfast within an hour of getting up, and should eat at least 3 meals a day.

---She needs to write this all down daily, so she can evaluate her progress at least weekly to see where she can make changes to help reach her goals.

---And she needs your support to get all this done. It becomes easier as time goes along---but recording everything is very important. It helps you stick to your plan, and it also shows you the results. Its too easy to tell yourself that "this little bit of _______ won't hurt, just this once." But those little bits can add up.

Another tool to help: CalorieKing.com Its free to use, and list just about any food you can think of with nutritional information that she will need (calories, grams of protein, carbs, fats, sugars, etc).

Also, running is a good activity. But she might want to consider some weight training as well at least 3 times a week to build muscle that will help speed up her metabolism.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She has had blood tests recently to rule out any thyroid issue...

I'll give her the info...I was wondering if you had any info on "correcting" her body since she was probably in startvation mode. It just doesn't seem fair or right that she eats well, excerises a lot and doesn't lose.

Thanks

Expert:  Valarie replied 2 years ago.

If she is eating regular meals and/or snacks and is as active as you say, I doubt that her body is in "starvation mode". If she is not eating regularly, however this may still be the case. Eating frequently in small amounts, say 5 - 6 small meals per day as opposed to 2 large meals will keep your body from "hanging on" to every calorie that goes in.

It may just be a simple case of eating more than she needs. This is not hard to do these days with the average types of foods people eat now. Many times you are eating more than you think because the package says its healthy for you.

Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management