Nurse Mandy
Nurse Mandy, Nurse
Experience:  LPN since 2000. Experience in Orthopedics, Dermatology, Cardiology & Ear Nose and Throat
8050997

36 weeks pregnant with pain in upper middle back and around to left br

Customer Question

36 weeks pregnant with pain in upper middle back and around to left breast side... if i move a certain way sometimes it hurts more or comes back... started approx 2pm stopped for about 30 minutes ... and it came back i think after eating a piece of cheese... it feels like a painful pressure w some sharpness... i kept burping to see if it would help and after a few burps i had burning sensation in throat.... can this be heartburn or indigestion? can it be felt in the back as well? i bent over to pick something up and a little liquid w some chunks came up that i had to spit out... i know that is a sign for indigestion.. but wondering if the feelings i'm feelin in back and chest are as well... also can u take pepcid chewable while pregnant?
also is it true that while pregnant you are protected by something to keep you from having a cardiac issue?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
This could GERD - Gastroesophageal reflux, but this could also be labor and you need to get this evaluated by your ob/gyn to make sure you are not yet in labor.
You can take pepcid when you are pregnant
I hope this helps, if you have more questions, please ask
Please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so the upper back and left sided chest discomfort can be a symptom of gerd? can gas be trapped this hight up bc of uterus? its quite uncomfortable... if i squeeze my left breast pain sometimes increases...
and these are also symptoms of labor? i never heard of these as a symptom of labor... i've been told lower back pain bu† not upper back pain... can u be more descriptive with ur answers please....

is i† true that pregnant women and women of childbearing years are protected from cardiac issues? i read this somewhere and wondered if it was actually true.... also since i've been experiencing this for so long, does that lean toward ruling out a cardiac cause?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
I don't know what you want from more descriptivre, you essentially told me what you have going on and hence I am then telling you what you might have. And, cardiac issues - I see a LOT of cardiac problems in pregnancy, so women are not protected when they are pregnant, just the opposite.
Essentially you have symptoms and you need to get these evaluated by your doctor in PERSON, and from what you are describing this is essentially and most likely to be GERD or some gastrointestinal problem and even a gallbladder issue too.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
everytime you have answered a question of mine you have been what i consider rude... if you get irritated by questions being asked to you then you should not be on a site like this...

thank you for responding
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
doctor has always been rude whenever i ask a second question ... not happy at all with him
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
I'm not being rude - but when you ask a question, just like I teach my medical students and residents you have to be specific - I can only answer what you ask - doesn't that make sense. It is not rude - take care
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
do not like dealing with this rep on just answer
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
I promise not to answer your questions in the future, take care...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Nurse Mandy replied 3 years ago.

My name isXXXXX you for using Just Answer. I am happy to help you with your concern.

Symptoms of GERD can include stomach discomfort or burning pain that can move to your chest and throat, (around breast bone), burping, fullness or bloating in the stomach, upper abdominal pain and regurgitation. Yes, it can cause upper back pain as well as the jaw or arms.

More then 1/2 of pregnant women will have heart burn because of the pressure the baby puts on your body combined with increased hormones. The good news is that it will most likely go away once you deliver your baby.

Certain foods/drinks can increase your symptoms and should be avoided. These include tomatoes, citrus, onions, garlic, peppermint, chocolate, spicy foods, fried foods and caffeinated drinks. They symptoms mainly occur after eating a heavy meal, lying down on your back or bending over to pick something up. Try not to eat 3 hrs prior to going to bed if possible. You can also sleep on multiple pillows to raise your head or actually put blocks under the head of your bed to lift it up to help decrease your symptoms.

Pepcid is fine to take, you can also use Prilosec, Zantac or Tums but be careful with Tums because of the added calcium you can get a kidney stone and that is no fun, especially when pregnant.

No, pregnancy does not protect you from heart problems. Most likely it is GERD or heartburn that you are experiencing but you should mention this to your OB as they may want to run a few cardiac tests to be on the safe side before your labor begins. (Probably an EKG and an echo which is an ultrasound of your heart)

I had bad heart burn while I was pregnant last year and I took a Zantac daily before dinner and my symptoms improved greatly instead of just taking it as needed. You may want to just go ahead and take your choice of medication daily to prevent the heartburn instead of just treating it. I think this option will make you more comfortable.

If you have any further question please let me know and I will get back with you as soon as I can. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and I hope you have an easy labor & delivery!! Congrats on the baby. Have a good day and thanks again for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your response! ... i actually just had an echo on friday and will see my cardiologist tues for follow up... i have been seeing one since after giving birth to my second child in 2005.. due to chest pain palpitations... mvp... which was unconclusive and negative findings besides post partum thyroiditis which turned into subclinical hypothyroid.....it balanced out and but with this pregnancy my tsh is the best its ever been but my T4 has beein up and down between normal and slightly low... she increased my dose bc of T4 and i'm wonderin if it could have contributed to the chest discomfort and slight anxiety today...(i had what seemed like anxiety an hour ago while watchin tv)......the pain in back and left chest lasted on and off all day today, without taking any medicine... then after the anxiety i took a pepcid chewable and it seems to have gotten a little better...

can gerd like i seemed to have experienced today last all day like this?is that a problem?
and are you familiar with slightly low T4 but normal Tsh 1 during pregnancy?

Yes, the GERD can last all day and the symptoms can vary throughout the day. I really think you should try taking the Pepcid on a regular basis as this should help decrease if not prevent your symptoms. Long term GERD without treatment can cause problems with your esophagus and throat, but as long as you take the medication and the fact that this should resolve after you have your baby you probably are ok.

I am not real familiar with the T4 during pregnancy but I do know as long as it is being monitored and treated correctly it should not affect your baby. Yes, the thyroid could be contributing to your chest discomfort as well, but my feeling still is that it is mainly the GERD.

However, high blood pressure can also cause chest discomfort so you may want to have your blood pressure checked to make sure it is normal. High blood pressure during pregnancy can be very serious.

If you need anything else please let me know. Have a good day.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks again . . i called my doctor and he sent me to er to be checked . . an thing specific i should ask for to be tested . i lay down to do an ekg and felt my heart race . My heart rate is 125 But sinus rhythm . .
Your heart rate increases when you are pregnant due to the extra blood flow in your body. However, you may just be having anxiety attacks. Glad you are getting checked out, better to be safe then sorry for you and your baby. I don't think there is anything specific. Just make sure you let them know all of your symptoms. Good luck, please let me know what they find out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ekg normal chest x ray normal and urine normal they took blood but doctor never ran it which i don't understand . . hey are sending me to Lnd to be monitored now . . i started having the aback and chest discomfort again but i also have a burning sensation in my throat . . if i have the burning in my throat wit chest discomfort is that when I'm safe to assume ReFLUX?

It sounds very much like reflux especially since the ekg and chest x-ray are normal. Not sure why they didn't do blood work either, kinda strange. Good luck in L&D, I'm sure that will be fine as well and you will get to go home soon. Please let me know if I can assist you further. Thanks again for your business with Just Answer.

If this information has been helpful please press the accept button so I can get paid for my time and services.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks . . the blood work thing makes no sense to me i will ask Lnd if they should run tests on what they took . . great picture by the way . . . did you suffer these ReFLUX symptoms late in pregnancy?

Yes I did, the 3rd trimester was awful!! I took Zantac every day before dinner and that helped a ton!! On occasion I would take 1 tums in the morning but I drink a lot of milk and didn't need the added calcium as it can increase the chance of a kidney stone. My reflux symptoms were gone the day after I had my baby. Thanks for the compliment on my pic. He is our first and just so in love, he will be 1 next month. Are you having a girl or boy?

If the pepcid doesn't work for you, try Zantac.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i am having my third girl... and never experienced this in either of my pregnancies... maybe bc i was younger then idk..... i haven't had any issues till two days ago.. dont' kno how you coped with reflux that long... i never knew reflux would cause such pain and constantly during pregnancy...esp in weird places... like back or left chest sharp pressure etc.... crazy... my upper back now feels real sore and if i move a certain way or lay on my back it hurts and makes my chest hurt too.... w quick sharp pains in left chest area too.. dont' kno if its from all the stress or layin in that stretcher alllllll day...but i was thinking if they did a chest x ray they would've seen something w my lung or anythin else more serious in that area..... o and LND didnt' check blood they just monitored baby for thirty minutes all was ok and sent me home... god bless ur little one....
The chest x-ray and other tests would have picked up any problems with your lungs/heart. Yes, reflux can be awful! I was on bed rest the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy which made the situation worse. Lying down, especially flat on your back will make it worse. Try sleeping on 2 pillows that will help some or on your side. Glad to hear all was well with little girl. I hope the reflux is short lived for you. Congrats again and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and labor & delivery.
Nurse Mandy, Nurse
Experience: LPN since 2000. Experience in Orthopedics, Dermatology, Cardiology & Ear Nose and Throat