Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

raised red circles on back of hand and inside forearms, they

raised red circles on back of hand and inside forearms, they don't itch or hurt, but won't go away, have had them for at least a year. they have for the most stay circle like, but two now half has gone away, what could this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

It is hard to make a skin rash diagnosis without seeing a picture but from what you are describing it sounds that you have a condition called Granuloma Annulare which is basically a chronic skin condition consisting of a reddish rash in a circle. Usually the center is lighter in color and there is a darker "ring" surrounding the lighter area. Usually there is scaling present with this condition.

Because this rash doesn't cause any symptoms (itching, pain, etc), no treatment for it is necessary and eventually the patches go away on their own.

If you do have scaling, it is possible that you have a fungal infection for which creams can be prescribed.

It is best that you see a dermatologist for a full evaluation as again, I cannot feel or see the rash, but based on your description believe that that is what you have.

Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for y work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there anything like a cream I can try on this to see if it helps

Steroid creams can be tried (usually very strong steroid creams such as Betamethaose or Clobetasol - they are available by prescription only) but usually only if there is itching, otherwise they will not serve any good. Sometimes a steroid can be injected into the ring itself and this is usually done by a dermatologist.

If you have scaling and there is a possibility of a fungal infection, there are several over-the-counter creams you can try (Lamisil or Clotrimazole) but I would not recommend using them unless a fungal infection in confirmed.

In most cases Granuloma annularae goes away on its own after several months to years.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I will be happy to hep you further.

If I answered your questions, please do click 'Accept' button.