Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

I am a daily drinker but do not drink to excess. Regardless,

I am a daily drinker but do not drink to excess. Regardless, I worry about my liver. With that said, if one insisted on drinking what is the best thing to drink, instead of red wine?

Wine sometimes seems heavy and I don't like spritzers. Is champagne, which I like, the same, better, worse? Or is a small amound of vodka with gingerale a possibility. Other than Vodka I do not drink hard liquor. I do drink lite beer but I am overweight as is and it's bloating, and not really my favorite.
Thank you

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

As far as protecting your liver, it would be important to know the if your liver is currently healthy. You can discuss this with your health care provider and have some tests done to see how things are.

The type of alcohol does not really make a difference. It is the amount of alcohol that you consume. It is generally accepted that 1 drink a day for women, and 2 drinks a day for men is fine, and will not harm your liver. However, this would change if you had some sort of liver disorder, or you are a daily user of acetaminophen as well.

One drink is equal to 12 oz of beer; 5 oz of wine (or champagne); 1.5 oz of 80 proof alcohol (like vodka); or 1 oz of 100 proof alcohol. In general, red wine is also considered to be "heart healthy", so if you tolerate it otherwise it would probably be the best. Next to that, white or blush wines would also be OK.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thank you Valerie

As per my liver, I will have the blood tests. But with that said, does eating help the alcohol process better or doesn't it matter?

Thank you

Hi, sorry for the delay. My computer has been giving me some grief today. : )

And you are very welcome.

Eating food along with drinking the alcohol, rather than drinking on an empty stomach, will slow the absorption of the alcohol. You will still get the same amount of alcohol absorbed, but over a longer period of time. So, this would lessen the stress on your liver a bit. It would also keep the alcohol from causing stomach irritation. Alcoholic beverages are a common cause of heartburn, gastric reflux and gastritis.