DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD

My dad had trouble urinating through the night on Monday. Felt

My dad had trouble urinating through the night on Monday. Felt like he had to go very badly and would only dribble. he has history of enlarged prostate. he also has copd and had been on predisone for seven days prior ending on Saturday. he went to emergency room and they put a catheter in and he voided thru the catheter around 800 ccs. urine was clear. RN said there was some resistance to catheter. He was sent home with catheter,and leg bag to call his family physician for referral to urologist. Today he is not having out as much output, and it is a little darker. He feels sometimes like he has to go, and there is some leakage around catheter. He is worried it is stopped up. He is waiting on his family physician to call back with appointment. Should we go have the catheter checked or is this normal. I am encouraging him to drink more.
Category: Health
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 5 years ago.
better you get Cather checked. get an ultrasound done if possible to look for exact status of prostate bladder and kidneys. decrease urine can also happen due renal problem. to be on safer side get it checked .thanks