Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I have a burning/tingling sensation in my feet and lower legs

I have a burning/tingling sensation in my feet and lower legs which comes and goes but is definitely made worse when I drink alcohol. I am a 53 yr old female who is otherwise in good health and enjoy a few glasses of wine with my husband most evenings. I have had numerous blood tests taken and they have all come back within normal range. What could it possibly be please?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 years ago.

How long and how frequently are you having the symptoms?

Do you take any medicine?

Which tests did you have?

Do you have any other symptom or previous illness?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've had the symptoms for about 9-12 mths, I can't remember all the blood tests that were taken but I remember some were for liver, cholesterol, and diabetes. I have just started taking (in the last 2 wks) omeprazole for stomach pains - I'm not sure if the doctor said I had a stomach ulcer or not, but she did say it helped for inflammation of the lining of the stomach. I haven't noticed my leg symptoms getting any worse since taking this. The frequency is most days.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the information,

There are many factors which can cause the burning sensation of the legs and feet.

Diabetes, smoking, alcohol play a major role.

The mode of action is not entirely clear.

It can be due to direct action on the nerve or from neuropathy from deficiency states.

Among other causes vitamin B12 deficiency, other neuropathy, thyroid, liver, kidney disease, even sometimes allergy have effect on burning sensation.

Blood tests should be taken to rule out any of the above causes, which I think your doctor has taken already.

You can try to limit the intake of alcohol.

Take plenty of vegetables, fruits, fluid.

Vitamin and mineral supplements can be tried.

As it is continuing for long time, you can also consult a neurologist for examination.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for this.

i can certainly reduce the alchohol and have wondered about a vitamin deficiency.

I have a diet high in fresh fruit and vegetables so I'm wondering what it is that I'm not eating that makes me lacking in b12 and I will put that in my diet.

I definitely do not drink enough fluids, I never feel thirsty and have been like this all my life. I have no more than 3 cups of cafeine free coffee each morning.

As for neuropathy, what is this? What would they be checking?

P.s. I stopes smoking 3 yrs ago but unfortunately did smoke from the age of 14
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 years ago.
You are always welcome to Just Answer Website.

The neuropathy which affects the feet & legs are usually peripheral neuropathy.

You can read the link on it.

Besides dietary deficiency, there can be other cause for vit B12 deficiency.

There can be lack of intrinsic factor which helps in the absorption of vitamin B12.

If you find my answer helpful, please press the accept button so that I can be compensated for my time & work.

Best of health.