DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD

Can a person get shingles again on the left side of the body

Can a person get shingles again on the left side of the body only a few months after having Herpes Zoster Oticus on th right side? I have numb places on my skin, some small places of unexplained rash, that also feels like it s crawling at times and some intense itching. None of this all at once, but in quick succession. Miserable!
Shingles can occur anywhere on your body, it most often appears as a band of blisters that wraps from the middle of your back around one side of your chest to your breastbone. After initial infection virus lies inactive in nerve tissue near your spinal cord and brain. Usually years later, the virus may reactivate as shingles. If someone has lowered immunity to infections or weak immune systems infection can reactivate anytime again. Please consult your doctor and get yourself examined.