DR MED MD
DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD
8742629

I was recently placed on furosemide 40 mgs a day by my Heart

I was recently placed on furosemide 40 mgs a day by my Heart Doctor for edema in my legs and feet. I have a myoview stress test on the 14th. As long as I keep my legs elevated I don't get much edema but over the weekend I spent 2 days with my feet in a flat on the floor position. My edema was much worse. Is this an indication of my heart ability to work properly. My BNP is 170.
Category: Health
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to just answer,

Swollen legs may be a sign of heart failure. There is too much fluid in the body which causes edema in lower legs.Other conditions that can cause swelling to one or both legs include Blood clot, Leg infection, Venous insufficiency , Varicose veins etc. You should get complete cardiac evaluation done and get your self exmained by a cardiologist asap.

Thanks