DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD

Can a hiatus hernia cause sickness my partner has suffered

Can a hiatus hernia cause sickness my partner has suffered with this for some time,but this week it apears a lump has appeared on the top left hand side of her stomach and she seems to be having alot more discomfort than usual. Are there any foods that she should be avoiding. She has been to see her local gp but not had much joy we don't know if it is lack of understanding the problem. We could do with some advice if you can help the poor woman her stomach is like a drum somedays so tight and then others it is soft. Please any help is welcomed.
Many Thanks
A caring partner

Welcome to just answer,

Hiatus hernia can cause your partner symptoms.

He need to make few changes in life style.

Advice her to eat several smaller meals throughout the day rather than a few large meals.

She need to avoid foods such as chocolate,alcohol, onions, spicy foods, citrus fruits and tomato-based foods.

Fatty foods should be avoided.

Sit up after you eat, rather than taking a nap or lying down and eat at least three hours before bedtime.

Try sleeping with elevate the head of your bed 6 inches.

Tell her to avoid stress and regularly exercise.

I hope all this will help and she will feel better.

You should also get her examined by a specialist if possible by a gastroenterologist.