Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

I hurt my back jumping and playing sports. Now I am in severe

I hurt my back jumping and playing sports. Now I am in severe pain and have been for a week. It is my lower back. I can stand up straight, bend down, or lift my legs to high. It also hurts constantly - when I sit, stand, cough, sneeze, lay down, pretty much all the time. I also was diagnosed with Scoliosis when I was 20. Now I am 26, this may have something to do with it as well. My research indicates a herniated disc might be the problem, but I do not have insurance yet. Do I need to see a doctor now or will the pain go away? I dont have a lot of money. What do you think the diagnosis is and do I need immediate attention?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
Some likely causes for your symptoms are muscle spasm, prolapsed disc, pinched nerves. The mainstay of treatment for muscle spasm and prolapsed disc with no neurological deficit is rest and physical therapy.

You can take Ibuprofen 600 mg every 6 hours as needed for the pain. Avoid lifting any heavy weights or standing or sitting upright for long periods. You should also see a doctor for examination of your neurological system to rule out any damage to nerves. You can see a doctor at a free or low cost clinic near your area. Here is a link to find one:
http://www.pparx.org/en/prescription_assistance_programs/free_clinic_finder
Best Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Great thank you .. What kind of Physical Therapy should I be doing. I would like to be able to stand up straight again sooner than later.

I can see a doctor in September when my insurance kicks in. Is that good enough?

Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
For current illness, I would like you to see a doctor at an urgent care clinic sooner for examination. Initial physical therapy measures include rest, ice, massage, ultrasound or electric stimulation. Once the pain improves, exercises to strengthen the back muscles and stretching exercises should be started.
Best Regards.