Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Well, I went to another Dr and he cant get IUD out either.

Well, I went to another Dr and he can't get IUD out either. Now they want to sedate me and try to get it out using a hysteroscope (?). My C7 IUD is embedded in the wall of the cervix diagonally, with the most embedded end about 1/2 from the cervical opening. What do you think this will entail?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

The IUD can get embedded into the wall of cervix sometimes.

mysticdoc :

This is a difficult situation.

mysticdoc :

But this can be retrieved using a hysteroscope.

mysticdoc :

A hysteroscope is a telescope that is inserted into the uterus via the vagina and cervix to visualize the endometrial cavity.

mysticdoc :

This provides better access and the IUd can be removed.

mysticdoc :

There is a small risk of perforatio of uterus.

mysticdoc :

But this is also possible even if the IUD is left behind.

mysticdoc :

Since the risk is small, it is worth taking to remove the IUD.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes

mysticdoc :

Please click ACCEPT button, if you do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Customer:

Does it hurt? What is involved? Will my cervix be dilated? How is this done? Drugs? What?

Customer:

Am I subject to infection if this IUD remains embedded? I am in pain right now

mysticdoc :

No, they will give you local anesthesia --this will help reduce the discomfort.

mysticdoc :

Yes, you may get infection, bleeding, perforation if the IUD is left behind.

Customer:

Local anesthesia as well as general? I will be totally sedated during the procedure.

mysticdoc :

If you are given general anesthesia, then local anesthesia is not needed.

Customer:

how is cervical dilation accomplished?

mysticdoc :

They will use a speculum like any other procedure.

mysticdoc :

Then they will use an instrument called obturator to dilate the cervix opening.

Customer:

what is that how does it work?

mysticdoc :

This is like a rod which is used to widen the opening.

mysticdoc :

then the flexible hysteroscope is inserted under direct visualization.

Customer:

Oh dear god. Isn't this going to hurt when I wake up? and how is the cervix going to close back up?

mysticdoc :

That means doctor can see clearly when the scope is being inserted

mysticdoc :

the cervix tissue is like elastic it will go back to its position.

mysticdoc :

it will not hurt since you will be under anesthesia.

mysticdoc :

After anestesia wears off, you may take any pain medication

Customer:

as the c7 is diagonally imbedded and the protruding end is directed toward the uterus, with the embedded end directed toward the cervical opening, do you think it is possible to get it out this way? It is about 2 inches long and 2/3 embedded. apparently when they pulled on the string hard enough to break it off, they were pulling it into the tissue instead of out of the opening.

mysticdoc :

Yes this should not be a problem with hysteroscope.

mysticdoc :

This should be accoplished without any complications.

Customer:

they say if they can't get it out, they will have to do a hysterectomy. I don't WANT a hysterectomy. I understand many women can no longer have orgasms post-hysterectomy. Also I know 3 women who have had a hysterectomy and a year later had to have another surgery to tie up their bladder. What do you say to these side effects? And can they cut it out without a hysterectomy if the planned procedure is unsuccessful?

mysticdoc :

This is a good concern.

mysticdoc :

Since you sre postmenopausal, your uterus walls are not as strong.

mysticdoc :

hence, it is very difficult to just cut it out if the hysteroscopic procedure is not successful.

mysticdoc :

Doint that is inviting the risk of uterus perforation, infection, sepsis etc.

mysticdoc :

To prevent all these complications, hysterectomy is considered as last resort.

mysticdoc :

The problems you mentioned with hysterectomy is only fraction of the population.

mysticdoc :

Many women undergo hysterectomy at your age without any complication

mysticdoc :

since you will be having your ovaries, this will not affect your sexual function.

mysticdoc :

the problem of bladder loosening is there, but then this can be checked during the procedure.

mysticdoc :

Again, if you do not have any bladder issue now, it is unlikely you will get it after surgery.

mysticdoc :

But the risk of leaving iud alone is far greater than bladder issue

mysticdoc :

The bladder issue even if it develops, can be addressed effectively.

Customer:

when i mentioned cutting it out, I meant through an abdominal incision, but not removing the uterus. Does this still result in sepsis, etc., risks?

mysticdoc :

yes, it is still dangerous due to the fact your uterus has shrunk from menopause and the walls are not strong as it used to be when you were young.

mysticdoc :

so the risks of leaving uterus is much greater than taking out, if required.

Customer:

your opinion, now that 2 docs have tried and failed to remove it. what are my chances with this 3rd procedure??

mysticdoc :

see, heteroscope significantly increases the chance of success.

Customer:

50/50? 75/25? 90/10?

mysticdoc :

Hence, you will likely be third time lucky.

mysticdoc :

i will say 90/10

Customer:

hope to god you're right...

mysticdoc :

i also hope so.

mysticdoc :

If your surgeon is experience you should be reassured.

Customer:

of course, last guy said iud could be easily removed with an iud hook and that I should see a 2nd dr. so I did, and of course, iud was not easily removed. so I wasted the cost of 2nd opinion.

mysticdoc :

yes, this can happen uncommonly--your frustration understandable.

mysticdoc :

Please make sure doctor doing the procedure has plenty of experience.

Customer:

ok, thank you. i do not think english is your first language. he's old. I hope that's a good sign.

mysticdoc :

I also think so.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD