Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Hello, I went to the Dr. I had a persistant cough for about

I went to the Dr. I had a persistant cough for about 4-5 weeks, I brough up a small amount green mucus 2 mornings in a row. The Dr. percribed Ciprofloxacine 500mg 10 day course and Acetylcysteine EG 600mg. I felt better no more green mucus, however the cough still persists. Went to another Dr. as first one was not available. Told by him the infection had cleared but respiratory system is irratated. He percribed Paracodine 10mg and keep taking Acetylcysteine EG 600mg. I have taken the Paracodine for 4 days but it still I cough feels like something is down there and suppressing it is not working.

I'm allergic to pencillan and have asthma I have been using my ventoline inhaler as the 2nd Dr. instructured. unsure what to do now hope you can help?

Regards
Roisin Brodie
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
Hello Roisin,

Do you feel short of breath and/or tight in the chest?
Any pain in the chest?
Fever?
Wheezing?
Do you have any other inhalers?

Dr abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, to the top 4 questions. Also both Dr. said my lungs were clear. I use serotide inhaler morning and night.

Roisin
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
Roisin,

I am sorry you are not feeling well.

At this point, I would consider a few things. First, a chest xray given your persistent symptoms.
I would also consider adding on a short course of oral steroids. The cough itself can be a symptom of bronchospasm (spasm of the airways) even if you do not have any other asthma symptoms.

I would continue with the prescribed medications also. The codeine, however, really does not do anything with regards XXXXX XXXXX the underlying issue--for this reason, I would use it at night and only if really needed during the day.

I hope that you feel better soon,

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!