911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I have a really bad sunburn on the top of my right foot and

Customer Question

I have a really bad sunburn on the top of my right foot and it's been swollen and so painful that I can barely walk for about 4 days now. Is this normal?
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 3 years ago.

911Doctor :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911Doctor :

Not really...

911Doctor :

why is it the top of your foot only and not more of your body?

911Doctor :

Is the pain just on the skin or is it deeper than that?

911Doctor :

And are you sure it's a sunburn?

911Doctor :

Could it be an infection?

911Doctor :

An infection of the skin can look just like a sunburn....

911Doctor :

Standing by.

Customer:

It's definitely sunburn, I was at the beach on Monday. The pain isn't really sunburn pain, it hurts the most when I've been off my feet for a while and I stand up. If I walk for a few steps the pain goes away slightly but is still there.

911Doctor :

but why is it only on the top of your foot and why only on one side?

Customer:

I have sunburn on the other foot as well but it's not as bad

911Doctor :

are you blistering?

911Doctor :

do you have swollen parts of the foot with fluid filled blisters?

911Doctor :

also, is it possible you could have been bitten by an insect or other animal?

Customer:

I have tiny blisters, nothing crazy. They just seemed to come out today. I honestly don't know I guess I could of been bitten by something but I really just thought it was the sunburn causing all this.

911Doctor :

so here's the deal...

911Doctor :

your symptoms do not make sense to me...

Customer:

Ok

911Doctor :

if you were to tell me that you go sunburned and that you had pain everywhere and that your shoulders and your arms and legs all hurt then okay...

911Doctor :

i would believe you were just sunburned...

911Doctor :

but,

911Doctor :

you are not telling me this story...

911Doctor :

i am afraid you have cellulitis...

911Doctor :

a skin infection.

911Doctor :

here is a link...

Customer:

Well I got sunburn on my shoulders and face as well BUT the only place that's swollen is my left foot. I'm Irish, I'm used to sunburn pain so yea it hurt other places but honestly I'm used to it.

911Doctor :

i get it, but this is different, and i'm Irish too, but you wouldn't be having this conversation with me if this were what you are used to.

911Doctor :

check this link out and tell me what you think...

911Doctor :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cellulitis/DS00450

Customer:

Ok

911Doctor :

standing by...

Customer:

My foot doesn't look crusty like that

Customer:

It's red, but it looks sunburnt

911Doctor :

but why is it different?

911Doctor :

why different from your other foot?

Customer:

But why would I get an infection in one foot and not in the other? The other foot is sunburned as well just not as bad, couldn't it be because of the way I was sitting? I've gotten weird sunburns before

911Doctor :

well then you are telling me things that i didn't know up to now...

911Doctor :

the deal is this...

911Doctor :

you are four days after a sunburn...

Customer:

Right

911Doctor :

a particular part of your body is not responding as you would expect...

911Doctor :

is it possible that you have an infection rather than a simple sunburn?

911Doctor :

yes, it is possible....

911Doctor :

i am sorry to say this because i would like to tell you to just ignore it and that it would get better, but you need to have someone who understands skin diseases take a look at your foot....

911Doctor :

if it's just a strange sunburn then good news....

Customer:

I guess it is but I'm just thinking it's because of my sunburn since it's happened after the sunburn.

911Doctor :

if you have a skin infection (cellulitis), then you need to be on antibiotics...

911Doctor :

and a sunburn can make you more likely to get a cellulitis...

911Doctor :

you are here now asking me...

911Doctor :

i'm telling you that this does not make sense...

911Doctor :

something is amiss...

911Doctor :

you need to get this checked out....

911Doctor :

standing by...

Customer:

Ok thank you

911Doctor :

you are welcome...

911Doctor :

do you have any more questions?

Customer:

Nope that's it

911Doctor :

well thank you for your question...

911Doctor :

please get this looked at...

Customer:

Ok

911Doctor :

and please click 'accept' if you feel you have received an adequate answer.

911Doctor :

many thanks for your business.

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

Thanks

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician