DrThomasMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director

As original question

Customer Question

As original question
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 5 years ago.
what is your question
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had my first child 20 years ago and was allowed to actively push for well over 2 hours before she was born the cord then snapped and the obstetrician had to manually remove my placenta there and then. I then had a noticeable prolapse which became alot worse after my 2nd baby 21months later, this delivery was very quick and I haemorrhaged afterwards. I then ended up with having a vaginal hysterectomy 10 months later because of the prolapse and the fact that I bled non stop after delivery. Ive suffered alot of health problems since including being diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Ive had TVT surgery for bladder problems and am now awaiting further surgery for a rectocele. Although I do work now as a staff nurse Ive had alot of sickness over the years and the first ten years after the children wasnt given a full contract to work due to my problems which meant losing alot of money and causing us to struggle financially. I am convinced that all my problems stem from the fact that I was allowed to push for so long with my first delivery and would like to know whether you think I would have a case to sue, who I would sue, how much it would cost me to do so and whether I can do it or have I left it too late to do so.
No i do not think that one can directly tie the amount of pushing during labor to all subsequent problems necessarily.

The process for this would be
a. higher a claims lawyer
b. decide if there might be a case
c. have all medical records reviewed...if they no longer exist after 20 years then you have no evidence for review other than potential testimony.

I do not see a direct medical connection, only indirect. Pushing for two hours in labor is not even that uncommon now, much less 20 years ago.

You can also submit questions to the legal section of ja
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions:

Please don’t forget to accept: You may Always ask from clarification as needed, even after you Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.