Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Hey Doc. 3-4 weeks ago I saw my doctor about a rash on

Hey Doc.

3-4 weeks ago I saw my doctor about a rash on my pubic area. She gave me a prescription for a steroid antifungal cream I took that and it helped the rash. The original rash was a red and burned. No bumps, it didnt tingle before hand. The cream helped the burning and after two weeks I stopped using it as directed. My doctor believed it to be jock itch because I am athletic. About 10-14 I have been off of the cream and it appears that the rash has spread. This time it does not burn just red blotches. I shaved over it so I am having a hard time telling what the redness is from anymore. Originally I was scared of herpes but my doc. said it is not a herpetic rash. My question is is this actual jock itch? If not what else can it be? Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 5 years ago.

Dr B :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Customer:

Hi Doc

Dr B :

This is most likely a fungal infection, it may not be jock itch, but another fungal infection

Customer:

Well this fungal cream does not seem to be kicking it. Is there anything else I can take

Customer:

Do you think getting the rash cultured will help

Dr B :

In this case, scrapings of the rash may help in the diagnosis and treatment

Dr B :

It may help to culture it and determine the type of fungus that is growing

Customer:

Last question

Customer:

this antifungal steroid cream does that help every fungus or just a specific one

Dr B :

Usually they will help a majority, but not all of them, it depends on which cream (the active ingredient) and the offending agent

Customer:

Ok..I am assuming if it as a herpes rash after 4 weeks it would of broken out

Dr B :

Yes, definitely

Dr B :

I very much doubt it is herpes

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

Well thank you for your time\

Dr B :

You're welcome
Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns on this topic, or need clarification

If not, please click the green ACCEPT button to end this session