Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I have been having severe pain in my upper left ab area, right

Customer Question

I have been having severe pain in my upper left ab area, right under the bottom portion of my left side ribs. I get severe nausea frequently. I have lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks due to when i eat i get shortness of breath, if if something is constricting my diaphragm. Sometimes the pain is around my back on the left side. I also get chronic pain around my navel but most of the time it's centered above my navel. I do not have jaundice. I am on Nexium as my GE suggested. He did an endo about 2 weeks ago and the biopsies came back all negative. I had a chest x ray done today and also an upper Gi ultrasound. The tech said my bile ducts were enlarged. I did have my gallbladder removed in 2009. There were no stones at the time, just sludge. For the last several month, my stomach seeemed to never be hungry but i ate anyway. I burp constantly and feel the need to have to clear my throat...this is worse then my stomach is empty and after i eat.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 5 years ago.

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Has your pancreas been tested yet? Has your amylase or lipase levels been drawn?