Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
8708167

I am extremely nervous about a test result I recieved. A routine

I am extremely nervous about a test result I recieved. A routine blood test showed my GFR was 46. I am a 52 yr old caucasion women, slight build. All other results were in the "normal" range.
I was told to retake the test next week. From what I read, there is little chance the GFR would increase. Are these tests ever that "off"?
I am beside myself with worry.
Thank you/
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 5 years ago.

DrTharun :

HI

DrTharun :

Do you have diabetes ? Any kidney stone disease in past? Hypertension?

Customer:

Hello, none of the above at all.

DrTharun :

Have you checked them recently ? Any ultrasound scan done ? What is your serum creatinine ?

Customer:

Checked what? No ultrasound, my creatine was 1.23

Customer:

Blood pressure 112/72, just today.

DrTharun :

Are you taking any regular medications/

Customer:

.50 of clonazempam once per day. No other medications.

Customer:

I have read this is stage 3 kidney disease and cannot be reversed and only progresses. I am so afraid.

DrTharun :

GFR is indeed low as normal is around 90.Low GFR reading at 3 instances would be indicate medical renal disease.

Customer:

I'm sorry, I do not understand. Three instances?

DrTharun :

Three reading of low GFR - to term it as chronic kidney disease.

DrTharun :

your creatinine levels are fine which means there is no accumulation of waste products.

Customer:

I see. What would make the GFR increase or decrease?

DrTharun :

It is right that this condition gradually progresses , but the progress can be made very slow with proper management.

Customer:

I guess I am asking; you said 3 readings. How far apart and can the GFR flucuate that much?

DrTharun :

A month apart.

Customer:

Ok, I see. Does the GFR ever increase from my low of 46 to a higher level? Or, is it just a slow progression downwards?

DrTharun :

Usually it can be stalled at the particular level.Rarely it goes up - if there is obstructing stone or infection(after clearing it).

Customer:

Does this decrease my lifespan?

DrTharun :

Not if properly managed.Also if it fails completely then there is option of transplant which makes the lifespan almost normal.

Customer:

Alright. Thank you. I just don't know how to react. I am in shock and crying to think that this is happening. I love my life and my family. Kidney disease was never a famliy thing and I am a bit confused what happened to cause this.

DrTharun :

Worry will only increase the problems.You just need to keep a regular follow up with your doctor and the life will be same as before.

Customer:

One more question and I will let you go. You mentioned my creatine level was within the normal limits. Is this a good thing?

Customer:

How does this play into the GFR?

DrTharun :

Creatinine is practically the main indicator we can measure in blood.GFR is usually derived from it.So creatinine will be the one which will be monitored and all the measures are to keep it below 1.5 to 1.6.

I will opt out so that another doctor can attempt your question
Customer:

So, if my creatine is within the limits...I am confused as to why my GFR would indicate stage 3 kidney disease? Creatine 1.23 BUN 14, BUN?Creat RAtio 11 Does this indicate anything else to you. Sorry, I know I said one more question but, got my test results to maybe shed some light.

DrTharun :

It is the rate at which the creatinine is removed from the body over a period of 24 hours .So in your case creatinine is removed adequately to keep its level in the blood normal but is reduced over a period of 24 when compared to normal levels.There are some drawbacks of this method but it is fairly used everywhere

Customer:

So, possibly it can be corrected by finding why the creatine is not being removed over a 24 hour period?

DrTharun :

if there is removable cause like stone or infection , then it can be corrected.But if the kidney function is reduced per se(its working capacity is reduced), it is usually not correctable.

Customer:

Thank you for your time.

DrTharun :

all the best

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Another test 5 days later reported normal results. So much for one test. Everyone should be tested twice to make certain.

Thank you.