Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

Hi Dr Abby, I saw the specialist on Thursday and am having

Hi Dr Abby,

I saw the specialist on Thursday and am having a cystoscope next Tuesday to have what he is close to 100% sure is a Transitional cell carcenoma (?) ie the non-agressive form.

My main concern now is the affect my COPD will have with the anaesthesia. I am working hard on getting it into the best state I can. Am on prednisone etc and will go for a couple of swims between now and then as that helps clear the gunk out. The COPD is allergic asthma based (40 odd years of well controlled but severe asthma) and the oxygen uptake once the air is in there is around 90-95% so it is as I see it a matter of having the lungs as clear as possible on the day. A few years back I had something like 6 courses of antibiotics because of the asthma but decided that I needed to get my immune system in better nick. I have been taking a multivitamen ever since and have only need antibiotics twice in the last 3-4 years for my lungs. I am also taking a cranbery concentrate. (Specialist just smiled and said he didn't think that would make much difference but didn't say stop)
Do you have any other suggestions?

Many thanks

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
Hello again Carol,

I am happy to hear that, despite the fact that it is likely cancer, it is non-agressive. It is the best news you could get when the diagnosis is cancer.

Have you seen a lung specialist recently?
What type of anesthesia are you having?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for getting back so quickly. I am having a GA. I have not seen a lung specialist for some time as I found I got more help from my GP. The specialist did a respirometry (?) test every three months but told me nothing. I had no rapport with him at all. I am now part of a special "Wellness" programme funded by the government where I see the Practice Nurse and GP every three months to monitor my progress and general health, set activity goals etc. It helps quite a lot. The visits occur regardless of my state of health. My GP has been in touch with an allergy specialist in Auckland and but the consensus was that with my COPD/asthma so unstable (it is up and down on a 4-6 week cycle) it would be better not to do a course to desensitise the allergies. The risk of worsening the situation was too high. I do what I can to minimise the exposure. I have been to a specialist rehab clinic in the past year which helped improve my fitness. My background is active (I did Ironman Hawaii in 1991) and last competed in 2003. I still try to keep as fit as poss. With 55-60% capacity it is not poss to run now but I walk, swim and cycle as much as I can.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.

I apologize for the delay in response as I have been offline,

There are many things that go into assessing your pulmonary risk before/during and after surgery.
Before surgery, it is not always best to be on steroids for a long period of time. I would discuss this with your GP before doing this on your own. I highly doubt one week of prednisone will affect things with regards XXXXX XXXXX gland suppression but it should be discussed with your GP and surgeon.

Doing everything you can to optimize your breathing is all you can do. The farther the surgery away from the diaphragm and the shorter the surgery, the lower the risk of lung complications. A cystoscope with biopsy is lower risk.

After surgery, doing the deep breathing exercises are important to help keep your lungs inflated.

It sounds like, with your ability to walk, swim and cycle, that you will be okay. But you should discuss the upcoming surgery with your regular doctor and make sure everything is as optimal as possible before surgery.

Best of luck and I wish you good health in the future,

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!