CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

My friend, Bryan, was in a serious motercycle accident 8 days

Customer Question

My friend, Bryan, was in a serious motercycle accident 8 days ago. He has a bran bleed at the stem of his brain and has been in a drug induced coma since. How long will he be safe under this sedation?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. A drug induced como can be maintained for as long as is needed... there is no time limit. I am sorry this has happened to your friend. Did he have surgery to resolve the bleed?

JACUSTOMER-qv6kc2h3- :

No, they said he would most likely end up paralyzed if they did surgery. They just put in a treche today.

CamilleRN :

I am sorry to hear that. If you have more questions come up over the course of his care, please feel free to come back to this question window anytime, even after you have clicked accept, should you chose to accept.

CamilleRN :

Do you know what they expect the outcome to be?

JACUSTOMER-qv6kc2h3- :

Thye said he has been taking forward steps towards his recovery. They have taken him off the ventalator a few times only to have to put him back on it. That's why they put the trache tube in him today. Will he ever be himself again?

CamilleRN :

That depends upon the severity of the brain bleed. If it isn't too bad, and the bleeding stopped fairly quickly after the injury,, then what happens is the body will reabsorb the old blood slowly over time and the swelling in the brain will subside, also slowly over time. It is very possible that he will come out of this and return to his normal self...so keep positive thoughts:-) Also I want to tell you that it is extremely common to have to make many attempts to come off of a ventilator before it is actually accomplished.

JACUSTOMER-qv6kc2h3- :

. If you would like to read about his story log in www.caringbridge.org/visit/bryansorrels/journal. That way you can find out exactly what is going on with Bryan.

CamilleRN :

Sure, thank you. IF I can help you further.. please let me know.

JACUSTOMER-qv6kc2h3- :

Would you please let me know what you think after you visit his website? I would so apprciate it. I am just a bundle of nerves now.

CamilleRN :

I did read some very encouraging things... such as grip improvement... and thuimbs up? ! Wow.. that is good. Sounds like he has a good chance to continue to make progress:-)

CamilleRN :

Ironically, I have family and friends in Mesa and I will spread the word about Brian's Benefit at Septembers:-)

JACUSTOMER-qv6kc2h3- :

Are you serious? That is great. What a trip. I live in Scottsdale.

CamilleRN :

That is a trip! lol Love Scottsdale

JACUSTOMER-qv6kc2h3- :

Where do you reside? It's gpt tp be cooler there than here. It will be 114 degrees today. Yuck.

CamilleRN :

I'm in Florida.. yes, it's cooler... but so humid! I don't know which is worse! lol

JACUSTOMER-qv6kc2h3- :

I've been to Florida once to testify in a trial in Vero Beach. I loved it there. Once again if could just visit Bryan's website every now and then and let me know what you think, I would greatly appricate it.

CamilleRN :

I will and if you have questions in between... just let me know.

JACUSTOMER-qv6kc2h3- :

How do I do that? I'm not very computer litterate.

CamilleRN :

All you would have to do is log in to just answer and then to your questions... you will find this question, click on it and you will be brought here. I will then be notified that you have asked a question.

CamilleRN :

( You would just ask a follow up question in this same question)

JACUSTOMER-qv6kc2h3- :

Got it. Thanks.

CamilleRN :

You're welcome. I read that Bryan is being transported to another facility... is this another hospital or another type of facility?