Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
16455829

My TSH level..my doctor is trying to regulate it with Synthroid

Hypothyroid Condition

My TSH level has been high - around 8 - for 2 years, and my doctor is trying to regulate it with Synthroid. I'm 76 years old and would like to explore some options which are more natural than Synthroid.

Do you have any suggestions?

Also, what are your thoughts on the use of a desiccated thyroid treatment?

Thanks,

Ernie
Yes, actually you do have other options.

Some thyroid patients in the U.S. who do not take levothyroxine sodium (the generic name for Synthroid, Levothroid, Levoxyl, Euthyrox) are instead prescribed either Armour Thyroid or Thyrolar, two drugs produced by the same manufacturer, Forest Pharmaceuticals.

What is the difference between Armour, Thyrolar and the levothyroxine sodium drugs? Primarily, Armour and Thyrolar are drugs that provide BOTH T4 and T3 thyroid hormones, instead of just providing T4, as levothyroxine sodium drugs like Synthroid do

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/thyroiddrugs/a/armour.htm

Or you can add on triiodothyronine

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/t3controversy/a/NEJMT3study.htm

warm regards

Please click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON for every answer that you find helpful. It you need more clarification, just ask. It allows me to help people like you Laughing

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, thank you. I'll check this out and try to find a source for this in Canada.

Ernie
You are welcome.
These are sold in Canada. And happy Canada day- I am Canadian too :)

warm regards