Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Ill be going on a plane in less than a week. And, Im very

I'll be going on a plane in less than a week. And, I'm very nervous and anxious. What kind of medicine is there that I can take? Or what could a dr prescribe to me??
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Hi again!

You are not alone in feeling this way about flying, as you probably know.
How long is the flight?
Are you on any medications right now?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
only about 3 hours or so.
I take prevacid once a day, and flonase daily.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Ok.
I hope that you are feeling better with regards XXXXX XXXXX that has been going on recently.

As far as the flight, we often prescribe a benzodiazepine for this type of situation. Xanax is one that can be used. It can make you drowsy however, so if you have to drive after the flight, a very small dosage should be tried at first.

Over the long term, if you have a phobia of flying, the best treatment is to try therapy (cognitive behavioral therapy for example).

But for this flight, I would ask your doctor for either Xanax or Ativan.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I'm feeling a lot better, thank you!!! I still do the flonase and sinus rinse daily. I do also take fioricet for tension headaches occassionally, would that interact with either of the 2 you mentioned? I have taken xanax at one point several years ago. Do they work on the spot or take time to work? I guess i just need something that will relax me a little.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Both Fioricet and Xanax can cause drowsiness/dizziness (they are central nervous system depressants). When taken together, these side effects can be magnified--so I would not take them together.

Both Xanax and Ativan take about an hour (ativan could take up to 2 hours) to take effect. So you would take it in the airport, not when you are on the plane.
Xanax lasts about 5-6 hours, Ativan lasts a bit longer.

Both will relax you. Given the fact that it is a shorter flight, Xanax would be the better option for you.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
would you recommend just taking the fioricet instead or not at all and get xanax for the anxiety?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
I would not use the fioricet because it has the caffeine in it..this can increase symptoms of anxiety.

I would recommend Xanax instead for the flight only. If you needed the Fioricet, you could take it 4-6 hours after the Xanax as long as you were not feeling drowsy/dizzy.

Dr Abby

Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States