DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

five negative ultrasounds on my legs..more blood work

In the past two years I have had five negative ultrasounds on my legs, numerous negative d dimer tests, and more blood work than I can remember. I have a fear of getting one, and just suddenly dying without any symptoms. Should I be concerned? I think I've read to many horrific stories, but since I've had so much testing should I really worry? I'm 23 and they don't run in my family. Also with all the blood work I have had, do you think they would have stumbled on a clotting disorder?
Category: Health
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
Hello
do you have any medical condition?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not that I'm aware of. I do have gerd
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
So why the ultrasounds then?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Because I was experiencing leg pain. They were from all different doctors at different emergency rooms and one was from my doctor.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
OK
I just reviewed your question list and realize that this is more of a phobia for you than anything else.
no you are not at risk for DVT as far as anyone can tell and you have had negative tests.

You need to see a clinical PhD psychologist for CBT or cognitive behavioral therapy in an attempt to address these thoughts, which is what CBT does very well.

That way you are improving the actual problem which is the phobia and becoming healthier.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do most people have symptoms? What kind of people suddenly die from them? People with underlying medical conditions?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
You have had all of these questions answered
This is part of the obsessive nature of your psychological problem to ask these questions over and over, yet you are not going to believe any expert.

So this is the illness you have, phobia, OCD, whatever it is which requires diagnosis.

Most people have symptoms
No one dies from a DVT, only if it propagates into a pulmonary embolis.
Obesity, smoking birth control pills and hereditary blood problems, along with cancer, and mechanical injuries are some of the risk factors.