Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

When I found out I was pregnant over a week..once daily

Customer Question

When I found out I was pregnant over a week ago I stopped all my current medications cold turkey. I was taking Trazodone 100mg nightly, Clonazepam 1mg as needed but often once daily, Celexa had just been increased from 20mg to 40mg the week before I found out I was pregnant.

I believe I am absolutely suffering withdrawal symptoms. I haven't been able to get more than a few hours of sleep each night for a week now. I'm extremely nauseated most of the day and I'm only 4 wks pregnant.

Is there anything I can do to lesson the withdrawal symptoms? and how long does it often take for the withdrawal process?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

You were on 3 medcations to control your psychiatric symptoms.

mysticdoc :

the withdrawal symptoms may be experienced for 3-4 weeks.

mysticdoc :

you can try lemon drops and ginger ale to control your nausea.

mysticdoc :

You can also take vitamin B6 30 mg daily to control your nausea. This is safe in pregnancy.

mysticdoc :

If your anxiety symptoms do not improve even after 3-4 weeks, then low dose sertraline 25 to 50 mg daily.

mysticdoc :

sertraline is found to be safe during pregnancy by clinical studies.

Customer:

Isn't sertraline zoloft? zoloft and paxil are both named in those lawsuit commercials about how if your child was born with birth defects you may have a right to sue. Also my psycologist said, zoloft was a no no during pregnancy.

Customer:

Also just for reference... the trazodone was for sleep, the clonazepam was for anxiety and sleep, and the celexa was for depression/anxiety. I don't know if that makes a difference, just trying to provide as much info as possible.

mysticdoc :

you are right about that.

mysticdoc :

But I meant zoloft is less dangerous than other SSRIs--although no ssri should be used during pregnancy.

Customer:

Gotcha

mysticdoc :

clonazepam is a benzodiazepine and can affect the fetal brain

mysticdoc :

the main goal is to keep the mother healthy.

Customer:

yes, i noticed the clonazepam was a category D so there was no question about stopping that cold turkey

mysticdoc :

if you are not psychological stable you will not be able to continue your pregnancy.

mysticdoc :

that is why in medicine it is always about risk and benefits.

mysticdoc :

trazodone is also an atypical antidepressant and this is also not suited.

Customer:

right... my psychological state is decent for now. Its the insomnia and excessive nausea that is causing me the most problems

mysticdoc :

hence, you are going through tough phase.

mysticdoc :

but if you can keep yourself together for 3-4 weeks, hopefully you will be fine.

mysticdoc :

continue psychocounselling as that is helpful.

mysticdoc :

try the measures i suggested for nausea--helpful.

mysticdoc :

if you do have breakthrough anxiety, methyldopa--a blood pressure lowering medication may be helpful as offlabel use.

mysticdoc :

but again i will suggest no medication if at all possible.

Customer:

Ok... sounds good. I'll wait a month and see if anything has changed any and then I'll talk to my doc about methyldopa. Thank you!

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD