Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

Pain on top of foot

have been going to the gym and walking on treadmill has become painful. Pain on top of foot. started about 2 weeks ago. laid off aweek and went today. could not finish 3.5 miles.
Welcome to the Just Answer Website.I need the following information from you, so that I can provide you the best answer:

Do you have swelling in top of foot?
Are you overweight?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no swelling, yes sadly but otherwise in good health as i have had physical 2 months ago. That is why i am going to the gym. have not felt bad but could feel better
Thanks for the info given.The symptoms you are having is most likely due to tendinitis.Other causes of pain on the top of the foot include cysts, bones jamming due to fallen arches, stress fractures from trauma, bone spurs due to arthritic conditions, or even pinched nerves. Firstly you need rest & stop working out on treadmill for few days.Apply heat in the form of a warm wash cloth applied to the area for 10 minutes or so 2 or 3 times a day increase blood flow to the area allowing to subside the inflammation.

Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen (brand names: Advil, Motrin) or naproxen (brand name: Aleve) can be taken to relieve pain and swelling.Apply ointment containing diclofenac sodium.Massage the area a few minutes every hour. This is supposed to decrease swelling and increase blood flow.This will reduce the inflammation & pain.All these medications are available as over the counter(OTC) without prescription.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.