911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

her to have a weekly bladder flushing..catheter..bladder infection

Hello
My wife has progressive MS, a doctor has advise not for her to have a weekly bladder flushing as it causes infection. Her catheter tube get block with white thick mucous and we find by giving her a short turm catheter and weekly flushing helps. I am asking the doctor if it is cliniclly proven that flushing developes or creates bladder infection. The flushing is done with optislo fluid called optislo G 100 mls irrigation sulation.
Please can you give me a positive answer I just need to know if we should stop the flushing if its wise to continue, this is strickly info required for the care of the patient.

Thank You
Pat
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 3 years ago.

911Doctor :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911Doctor :

This is a great question....

911Doctor :

I am not a urologist...

911Doctor :

But when we get patients in the ER who have chronic indwelling catheters we OFTEN flush them for the exact reason you are asking this question....

911Doctor :

Give me just a minute to gather some information.

911Doctor :

And in a nursing reference here, though it is hard to find... it does recommend AGAINST flusing the catheter UNLESS A DOCTOR ORDERS IT....

911Doctor :

So here is what I think...

911Doctor :

If the catheter is becoming clogged then there really is nothing to do but flush it. Otherwise you have overflow incontinence or urinary obstruction.... worse than a chance of infection, but here is what your ultimate answer will be, if your wife does not have a urologist, she should see one for two reasons.

911Doctor :

one is that since she is going to need a diversion of the urinary stream through the Foley from here on out it might be beter for a urologic surgeon to create a urostomy for her and eliminate the chronic urinary infection risk... this way the uring would simply come out in a small bag on the abdomen.....

911Doctor :

or, if this is not needed yet, the urologist WOULD give you very specific direction about flushing the catheter.

911Doctor :

standing by.

911Doctor :

are you there?

911Doctor :

I see you have gone offline. I need to move on to help some other customers and will switch this to Q and A so we can continue at your leisure.

911Doctor :

If you have been adequately answered please do click 'accept' as it is the only way I am reimbursed for my efforts.

911Doctor :

Very best to you and your wife.

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician
Expert:  911Doctor replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  911Doctor replied 3 years ago.

standing by.

911Doctor, Doctor