911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

her to have a weekly bladder flushing..catheter..bladder infection

Hello
My wife has progressive MS, a doctor has advise not for her to have a weekly bladder flushing as it causes infection. Her catheter tube get block with white thick mucous and we find by giving her a short turm catheter and weekly flushing helps. I am asking the doctor if it is cliniclly proven that flushing developes or creates bladder infection. The flushing is done with optislo fluid called optislo G 100 mls irrigation sulation.
Please can you give me a positive answer I just need to know if we should stop the flushing if its wise to continue, this is strickly info required for the care of the patient.

Thank You
Pat
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 5 years ago.

911Doctor :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911Doctor :

This is a great question....

911Doctor :

I am not a urologist...

911Doctor :

But when we get patients in the ER who have chronic indwelling catheters we OFTEN flush them for the exact reason you are asking this question....

911Doctor :

Give me just a minute to gather some information.

911Doctor :

And in a nursing reference here, though it is hard to find... it does recommend AGAINST flusing the catheter UNLESS A DOCTOR ORDERS IT....

911Doctor :

So here is what I think...

911Doctor :

If the catheter is becoming clogged then there really is nothing to do but flush it. Otherwise you have overflow incontinence or urinary obstruction.... worse than a chance of infection, but here is what your ultimate answer will be, if your wife does not have a urologist, she should see one for two reasons.

911Doctor :

one is that since she is going to need a diversion of the urinary stream through the Foley from here on out it might be beter for a urologic surgeon to create a urostomy for her and eliminate the chronic urinary infection risk... this way the uring would simply come out in a small bag on the abdomen.....

911Doctor :

or, if this is not needed yet, the urologist WOULD give you very specific direction about flushing the catheter.

911Doctor :

standing by.

911Doctor :

are you there?

911Doctor :

I see you have gone offline. I need to move on to help some other customers and will switch this to Q and A so we can continue at your leisure.

911Doctor :

If you have been adequately answered please do click 'accept' as it is the only way I am reimbursed for my efforts.

911Doctor :

Very best to you and your wife.

Expert:  911Doctor replied 5 years ago.

standing by.