Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Hi, I am taking Benzodiazapines (Xanax) for the last 4 years,

I am taking Benzodiazapines (Xanax) for the last 4 years, approximately 0.75mg daily (one and a half tablets). I suffer alot of anxiety, depression in the past but I have overcome that now. Could there be something malfunctioning in my Endocrine system? Like my body excreting too much adrenaline or something?

I do not want to be depending on these tablets any more...

Thank you

The endocrinal abnormalities are not likely. Still you may get thyroid function tests and adrenal function tests for the further confirmation. So that gives you an additional boost to further overcome it and come out of the medication. Since you have been taking Xanax for 4 years; this will need very gradual tapering. The tapering is around 0.25 mg per month. Thus there are no withdrawal symptoms.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank You.

Do you therefore think it is psychological or could there be a physiological explanation why I experience excessive anxiety?

And finally, is there any permenant medication for anxiety as I understand Benzodiazapines should only be used for a very short amount of time?

I have had my thyroid tested and no abnormalities showed up.

With thanks.

You are very welcome.

Most anxiety disorders are functional psychological disorders. Thus there are no physiological explanations. Psychotherapy; Behavioral therapy and CBT have demonstrated efficacy. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are generally used as first-line agents, and can be used for long term. So you may try them.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun