Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS

couple of weeks ago my belly button was hurting & began..deep inside

Customer Question

Hello, I notice a couple of weeks ago my belly button was hurting & began with a smell. So I started cleaning it with alcohol to clean it in case it was dirty. Then this week it became more painful deep inside. I started using peroxide to boil out any possible infection & applied with a q-tip antibiotic ointment. I notice it a lot more this week as far as being very uncomfortable. What do you think?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 5 years ago.

DrTharun :

DrTharun :

It seems you have umbilical sepsis or granuloma which requires scans to rule out umbilical connection to the intestine.Antibiotics may have to be prescribed by your doctor.Continue cleaning the umbilicus.

Customer : What is a granuloma? I am a survivor from a serious sexual assault. I was date raped & a metal tool was used on my rectum. I lost 6 pints of blood & had a blood transfusion & two reconstructive rectal surgeries & my jaw was also broken. I have to take laxatives in order to go to the restroom at least 3 times a week because I have no feeling from my rectum. The only way I know to go to the restroom is when my stomach starts cramping and I can then go easily because it is loose stool. Would any of this have anything to do with my problem with my belly button?? Thank you so much for your assistance!
DrTharun :

Usually there is less chances that it has caused the infection in the belly button.As it has been seen in normally also with out any risk factors.