Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

History of uterine cancer, I have heavy flow, help?

I have an extensive family history of all types of cancer, especially uterine. I also have heavy periods that last more than a week, does this warrant a hysterectomy? I was going to have a tubal ligation but if a doctor would perform a hysterectomy, I would be ecstatic.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

Just a prolonged bleeding does not point to the precursor of uterine cancer. But your family history is important. Though the age group in which the cancer occurred in women of your family is considered, when the decision for the hysterectomy has to be taken. If all the women who had cancer in 40s or later age group; removal of uterus is not justified in your young age group. There is always a chance that you might want to conceive again. Thus with an intact uterus; that can be achieved.

Hysterectomy in your age group is only considered if the family members had cancer in early 30s or late twenties. Please see this excellent article about familial uterine cancer;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My mother had a radical hysterectomy when she was 32 due to cancer, my grandma had hers when she was 42, and my cousin had hers at 29 and they were all done because of uterine cancer. My aunt, uncle, and another grandma all had cancer of various types. I have discussed everything with my husband and we decided together that I would have a tubal ligation after I delivered our daughter, however, I would much rather have a hysterectomy because of my family history.

With your family history; you can discuss the alternate of hysterectomy. You will be send for the surgical oncology consultation and than your gynecologist with their approval will go ahead with the hysterectomy.

It is privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun