Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

My daughter, age 32, has gout flareup periodically in her big

Customer Question

My daughter, age 32, has gout flareup periodically in her big toe joint which makes it nearly impossible to walk.. Her last 2 episodes were 2 weeks apart and with both of these episodes she also had what looked like welts or hives with very noticible raised lesion-like circular places on her neck, trunk, and legs. Do you know of anyone else who suffers from gout that has had any similar reaction. Wondering if it is a systemic reaction to the muric acid? We do not think it is food related since she has not had any change in diet and does not eat red meat and little meat of any kind.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry your daughter is suffering from hives.
Has she had any new medications for gout treatment?
Are the medications helping her hives?

dr abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

She has taken Alapuranol some in the past but not at this time.

The steiod injection she received Tues nite at urgent care is helping.

My question is: Have you had any experience with any other person(s) having hives in relation to gout flareups? The gout is not a new thing with her but the hives (or whatever, welts? ) is a new thing. One of her eyes actually swelled shut temporarily.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
No, I have not seen this occur. The only associations that I have seen is when the medication taken for gout triggers an allergic reaction.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps something that has triggered her gouty attack may have also triggered her hives...however this may be difficult to pinpoint.

In some people, the cause of the hives simply can't be determined. I know it is extremely frustrating.

Medications, stress, viral illnesses, dyes, foods, soaps, detergents, etc. can all trigger an outbreak, which I am sure you are aware.
If she does get recurrent hives, an allergist may be helpful. I am sorry that she is going through this.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not sure that the term "hives" adequately describes her reaction. My wife is an RN and she is telling me that "whelts & wheels" is a better description of what is all over her body seemingly more predominate in her joint areas, although there was one very noticible wheel/welt on her neck.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
Wheals and whelts are still suggestive of an urticarial/hive-like/allergic reaction to something.

As mentioned, it can be very difficult to determine the trigger in some people.

If she continues to have recurrent outbreaks, I do think an allergy consultation should be considered.

Dr Abby