Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

Hi I went camping last weekend and when I left I had a white

Hi I went camping last weekend and when I left I had a white dot that stung on the tip of my tongue it went away 3 days later now I have a small raised white dot size of pencil head under my tongue right after gum line it does not hurt unless I play with it alot with my tongue it seems to maybe be swollen around it but it's hard to tell . I did not bite it or burn it as far as I know. Could this be mouth cancer ? I'm only 30. It does not hurt bad so I assumed it was not a canker sore. I was just at dentist a few weeks ago he did all kinds of xrays . Would mouth cancer have shown up ? Should I be worried ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.

Do you smoke or chew tobacco?
How long has it been present?

dr Abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not smoke or chew tobacco . Just showed up yesterday or at least that's when I noticed it.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thank you.

At your age and given the fact that you don't smoke or use other tobacco products it is unlikely to be oral cancer. If the white area persists for more than a week though, you should have either your dentist or your regular doctor look at it.

It could be a canker sore, infected gum or a reaction to toothpaste. Bony protuberances can appear white as well.

Watch for any increasing pain, pus drainage, fever or swelling. If these develop, see your dentist right away. Otherwise, brush gently and keep a close eye on it.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!