Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

blood tests done..overactive thyroid..ultrasound done..thyroid gland

Early this week I had some blood tests done that determined that I had an overactive thyroid. I had an ultrasound done that stated ' the thyroid gland has a volume of 10cc. there was not evidence of any retrosternal extension of the thyroid gland. there is a generalised uneven echogenicity of the thyroid gland. There is a 12mm in diameter nodule in the right lobe of the thyroid and a 17mm in diameter nodule in the left lobe of the thyroid. the appearance of these would be in keeping with adenomata.

Can you please tell me what this means? and if it requires surgery?

Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

Adenomata (also called as adenoma) are benign lumps of thyroid. They do not need surgery, unless they are cosmetically not acceptable.

Uneven echogenecity means that thyroid do not have uniform consistency. That does not point to any specific disease.

Occasionally thyroid have some part below the upper part of the breast bone (breast bone is called sternum and the part of thyroid which is under the breast bone is called retrosternal thyroid). You do not have retrosternal thyroid.

Overall there is nothing alarming with your thyroid finding.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Will I require medication for the overactive thyroid in your opinion?

A very mild overactive thyroid which is not causing symptoms, would not need medications. Occasionally Hashimoto disease (which is autoimmune thyroid disorder), also initially present with high thyroid. If there are no significant symptoms; that too also does not need medications.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun