Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

treated for what was supposed to be jock itch..fungal cream

Hi Doc...

I was being treated for what was supposed to be jock itch. I was prescribed a steroid fungal cream. I used it for 2 weeks and have been off of it for one week. TOday I woke up and noticed several (more then 20) red dots around my pubic area where the rash is/was. They do not appear to have a center filled with anything or burn tingle or anything. The original rash did not have any lesions, bumps or anything. My question is what is this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, the combination of steroid and antifungal medications in a cream may not be as effective as the antifungal cream alone. The steroid cream may help temporarily reduce the inflammation associated with a fungal cream, however steroid cream can reduce the effectiveness of the antifungal agent itself.

This could be an early recurrence of the fungal infection. You could try one of the over-the-counter antifungal creams such as Lamisil or Lotrimin Ultra. If the rash does not improve within a few days, then you should have this rechecked by your physician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Orignally I was scared its herpetic. I had it checked out by 2 doctors and they said it was not. These bumps appeared after shaving 2 days ago. Can shaving over this rash cause all these red spots? Like I said they dont burn or tingle when I touch them
Shaving can cause irritation to the skin increasing the likelihood of fungal infections.