Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Hi Doc. I have been fighting a case of jock itch on my pubic

Hi Doc.

I have been fighting a case of jock itch on my pubic region. I am very active but never got this. I saw my doctor she gave me a prescription for steroid fungal ointment. I used that for 2 weeks and currently have been off of it for about 1 week. 3 days into using the cream it relieved the burning of the rash. As days went on the redness started to become paler. I shaved the other day over it and got red bumps, nothing unusual. My only concern is that the cream has not cured it. For instance it does not bother me at all until I workout and shower and winding down from a workout. What do you think I should do. I bought OTC fungal jock itch cream but did not use it yet. Do you think I should use that, or do you think I need to give my doctor a call?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

You may try OTC fungal Jock itch cream for 3-4 days to see if it improves the symptoms. You may continue using it for 10 days, if your symptoms are better; otherwise seek an appointment with your doctor. The Jock itch can recur, so prevention is very important. Please read these measures in the resource for preventing the recurrence;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I also noticed that it broke up int over 25 small red marks..they do not appeared to be that common?

Shaving on the skin with Jock itch is likely to be responsible for these small raised marks. They are likely to resolve spontaneously.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have had a few for 8 days when I shaved then. I also shaved hte other day and they likely seem to appear today. So its safe to say they are razor bumps. They do not burn tingle or appear to be oozing anything. There is a lot..this is most likely shaving related?

Yes, they are in all likelihood related to shaving. Skin reacts to any skin irritation, especially when it is inflamed due to other reasons (Jock itch).

Dr. Arun