Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

right shoulder..results of that MRI Bones and soft Tissue..bone..joint

I fell two weeks ago on June 15 i slipped and fell on a wet floor and landed on my right shoulder had a x-ray at ER that afternoon said it wasnt broken and yesterday on June 29 Here is the results of that MRI
Bones and soft Tissue--- The marrow signal intensity is unremarkable. There is no evidence of fracture or bone contusion. There is early degenerative change in the glenohumeral joint. No significant fluid is seen in the joint space.
There are moderate degenerative changes in the aromioclavicular joint with small spurring off the inferior distal clavicle.
The surrounding soft tissues are unremarkable.
Rotator Cuff and Biceps----There is abnormal signal intesity in the distal anterior supraspinatus tendon suggestive of a tear. This is probably a high grade tear. Less likely
but possible this is complete. This is somewhat difficult to evaluate due to patients large
body habitus and an MR arthrogram could be of assistance in further evaluating this area.
The reminder of the rotator cuff and biceps are intact.
Glenold labrum---The glenoid labrumis grossly intact without evidence for tear.

Somewhat limited study due to patient body habitus and patient motion.
High grade partial versus complete tear of the distal anterior supraspinatus tendon measuring approximately 1cm. This is somewhat difficult to evaluate on the MRI and a MR
arthrogram would be of great assistance.
Degenerative change in the acromioclavicular joint as described above.

This is the report I would like if someone could explain it to me?

Hello and thank you for your question,

Your MRI report says that you have some minimal arthritis at the point where your clavicle meets your shoulder joint. It also says that you have a tear in rotator cuff. Rotator cuff is the joint which holds your shoulder together. It is responsible for you being able to lift your arm, put it behind your back, etc. Rotator cuff tears are common, we often see them with falls. However, the severity of the tear could not be fully visualized on the MRI because you might have been moving so they are recommending another test called MR arthrogram to get a better look at the extend of the damage.

Often, rotator cuff tears can be treated with physical therapy, cortisone injections and anti-inflammatory medications. Occasionally they will require surgery to be put back together. If the tear is partial, you will only need physical therapy, if the tear is complete, you might need surgery and that is why you might need to get MR arthrogram since MRI was not able to tell if the tear is partial or complete.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what does it mean when it says high grade partial tear?

A grade of a tear refers to how many ligament fibers were broken up. High grade tear means over 70% of the ligament fibers were ruptured. This indicates a more severe rupture but if the tear is not a complete tear (some fibers are still intact), you still may not need surgery as those fibers will heal with time and with physical therapy.

I am sorry I didn't clarify that before. Please let me know if there are any other questions I can assist you with.

If I answered your questions, please do click 'Accept' button.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It says it measures 1 cm what does that mean in how bad it is?

I am sorry, I had to step away from the computer for a few minutes.

1 cm means that the length of a tear is 1 cm (1 cm = 0.4 in). But the severity of the tear doesn't depend on the length of the tear, it depends if the entire ligament is torn or only a part of it is torn. And that is the part of your MRI that they were not able to determine.

But the fact that the tear is high grade, which means more then 70% of the ligament is torn, means that it is a more severe injury.

I have to leave work now and will log off but if you have any other questions, I will be happy to answer them as soon as I get home and log back on.

If I answered your questions, please click 'Accept' button.