Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

What does mono% mean in a blood test if it is low

What does mono% mean in a blood test if it is low?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 5 years ago.
Hello
Welcome to the Just Answer Website.Depending on your level of health, monocytes make up between 1-3 % of the total white blood cells in the body.Low monocytes count is medically called as monocytopenia.It can occur in response to the release of toxins into the blood by certain types of bacteria as well as in people receiving chemotherapy or corticosteroids.A low monocyte blood cell count increases susceptibility to infections.The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that it means you are at a higher risk of getting sick from an infection, particularly those caused by bacteria. Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Regards-
Dr.David.
Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

On the report I viewed, 6 was a minimum low. My number was "1". What could cause that level of low?

Monocytes are made in the bone marrow, and they spread through the body in one to three days.The normal values of monocytes can vary widely from lab to lab. Your percentage of 1% is not low. It is absolutely within normal range of 1%-6% or (1%-3% according to some labs). There is nothing of concern & it is normal values.Also please don't forget to click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Regards-
Dr.David.