Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My amylase isoenzymes/Disaccaridase is abnormally high. Pancreatic

My amylase isoenzymes/Disaccaridase is abnormally high. Pancreatic amylase is 49 (norm 12-52u/l). Total amylase 122 (norm 30-110 u/l) Salivary amylase 73 norm (9-86 u/l). Automated chemistry lipase is 48 (15-51U/L). What is going on? My doctor says this is normal clumping. I am tired and struggling to keep active.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 3 years ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

It would appear that you do not have pancreatitis. It would seem that this was the primary focus of your testing. With your pancreatic lipase and amylase being normal I find these to be reassuring results.

Anthony Bray MD :

I don't think that your feeling tired would sem to be explained at all with these results.

Anthony Bray MD :

Do you have other symptoms? How long have you felt so tired? Do you have a past history of pancreatitis?

Anthony Bray MD :

With fatigue there can be different qualities of this symptom and these details can be helpfyul to identify the possible causes. For example do you feel sleepy during the day? Do you feel tired with exertion? Do you feel any shortness of breath? Do you have any chest discomfort?

Anthony Bray MD :

Do you feel cold natured? Dry skin? Any GI symptoms such as abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea or constipation?

Customer:

I have no history of pancreatitis. I have no sob, no chest pain or problems with exertion. In fact, when I do get active and get the adrenalin going I can function well. My problem is getting started. I do take sinthroid and have my thyroid tested regularly and recently. I have an awful time getting energy to begin tasks.

Anthony Bray MD :

Do you think that you might have a degree of depression? Trouble starting things sounds psychological in nature. Depression would be a common reason for having fatigue in the sense of difficulty getting motivated to do things...

Customer:

Recently I went to my doctor because of abdominal pain. CT scan and ultrasound were normal. He put me on Zantac. I still get twinges of pain about once a week after being on Zantac for a month.

Anthony Bray MD :

I see. That would explain the pancreatic enzyme testing.

Anthony Bray MD :

Any past abdominal surgeries?

Customer:

I am basically a very happy person. Often I am anxious to do things on the weekend. I love to garden. I still drag along till after working for half an hour or so of gardening. I had my appendix out when I was in my twenties.

Anthony Bray MD :

How long do these pains last?

Customer:

About half an hour. By then I have taken a Zantac usually.

Anthony Bray MD :

Where does it hurt realtive to your naval?

Customer:

About an inch or two below.

Anthony Bray MD :

It could be different things it sounds like to me. It might be adhesions which are bands of scar tissue that sometimes connect loops of bowel together. These can hurt if the intestine moves in the wrong position. These can develop with no history of abdominal surgery but are more common after a surgery but your was so long ago that this would not seem likely related.

Anthony Bray MD :

Any troble with constipation?

Customer:

None. By the way, my doctor described my increased amylase saying it clumps and therefore the kidneys have trouble excreating it. Why would it suddenly do this? He didn't seem at all concerned.

Anthony Bray MD :

Well your amylase total was slightly high but the breakdown of your salivary amylase and pancreatic amylase just being high normal would explain the high total. I would not consider this as a problem for the kidneys.

Customer:

Thanks. Are there any questions I should ask my doctor when I phone him to discuss these test results?

Anthony Bray MD :

Well as I said the test results that you reported do not appear to explain your symptoms.

Anthony Bray MD :

They are for practical purposes normal.

Anthony Bray MD :

I think the explanation of your symptoms should be the focus of the discussion.

Customer:

Ok I'll work on that. I shouldn't consider ulcers should I?

Anthony Bray MD :

It sounds low for it to be due to stomach ulcers. Also clues for that would be if it hurt to eat or drink certain things such as orange juice. Internal pain can be poorly localized and different in different people.

Anthony Bray MD :

So I would say ulcers would be a possiblity but would not seem highly likely as the explanation.

Customer:

Great, I don't qualify! No pain on eating anything.

Anthony Bray MD :

Right, it didn't sound likely as your cause to me.

Customer:

I just discovered this website. You have been very reassuring Dr. Bray. Many thanks.

Anthony Bray MD :

You are very welcome!

Anthony Bray MD :

If you have further questions then I will be happy to get back with you.

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice