Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
16698619

Ive felt a cramping gas pain earlier in the day. As the day

I've felt a cramping gas pain earlier in the day. As the day progressed the pain increased to a point where I couldn't even walk upright I had to walk hunched over. It feels like I need to pass gas but I can not. Finally I was able to eliminate and there was a trace if blood in my stool. It wasnt a dark colored red but wasn't very bright either but one could definitely see it was blood. Also,i noticed while it was passing it felt hotter in temperature than normal. What could this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 3 years ago.
What is your age and medical history?

Any history of ulcers, bleeding or similar symptoms in the past?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm 20 and Ive never had any health problems at all. The first thing I did eat that morning was chettos hot frie chips I've done so before and never had a problem, also I wasn't able to eat anything at all for the rest of the day (so keep in mindthat the spicy red colored cheetos was the only food in my stomach, perhaps the red coloring in my stool was from that?) I'm not in any sort of bad shape Ive up until now have been a healthy woman despite my occasional bad eating habit. The day after I felt the cramped pain I still had some discomfort (I wouldn't call it pain in comparison to the previous day) in the very bottom of my belly almost like a soreness from all the pain I went through. I was able to relieve myself since without any blood what so ever. Now 3 days later I'm not in any discomfort I do notice that my stool is much softer than usual I wouldn't call it diarrhea, almost like a toothpaste consistency. Any idea what this could be? Should I worry about it even though I feel fine now? Please understand that in times like today it's very expensive to go to a doctor without insurance and I'm afraid to go in fear of possibly ruining my chances to get full coverage health insurance in the furture if they do infact find a disease or disorder. Please help thank you
Expert:  Valarie replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome. I see it has been several days with no reply to your post. Do you still need assistance. If so, can you tell me how you are doing now (in regard to your problem)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well today it's been 4 days and I seem to be constipated. Last night while sleeping I was awoken by a feeling in my stomach as if I really had to go to the bathroom bad so when I sat down to use the bathroom the feeling went away and I wasn't able to release anything that happened about 3 times throughout the night. Finally this morning I was able to use the restroom but I almost had to force it out and I was only able to release a little bit. The stool was hard and two different colored browns, a lighter brown and darker brown. The darker brown was am obvious brown not like a black tarry color or anything of that nature. I haven't used to the restroom since but I have felt the feeling in my stomach where I needed to use the bathroom once with no release again. I feel fine other than an occasional rumble in my stomach that's very loud and I can feel it very strong but that is about it.
Expert:  Valarie replied 3 years ago.

It sounds like you may be constipated enough that stool is blocking your intestinal tract. You can use over-the-counter stool softeners and laxatives. At this point you will need to work on this for a few days most likely.

Drink more water than you are accustomed to, so there is plenty for the bowels to use to move things along.

Take a stool softener twice a day (ask the pharmacist at your local drug store which one to use, common names are XXXXX XXXXX DSS), and a laxative. Milk of magnesia works well; so does Dulcolax tabs (use once a day). If this does not work by tomorrow, you may need suppositories or enemas. You can also get these at your local drug store.

Also, you should eat mostly fruits and vegetables until you get relief. Meat, cheeses and carbohydrate type foods may aggravate the problem. The exception would be whole grains that have plenty of fiber, in the form of cereals rather than bread.

Once you get cleared out, you can help stay regular by eating plenty of fiber foods and/or take a daily soluble fiber supplement (examples would be Metamucil, Benefiber).

If the stool softeners and laxative does not work, you have more pain, you are not able to have a bowel movement, or develop diarrhea) this would indicate that you may actually have a bowel impaction. You will need to seek medical care in this case.

Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management