Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

White spots/Bumps over on my fingers.

Hi i have these white small spots/bumps over on my fingers. They have no liquid in them and does not itch or pain much. Just wonder what it might be
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

could you tell me if these spots are a part of the skin or can you feel them as elevated when you put your finger over them?

Is there any way you can take a picture of those spots and attach for me to see in this dialogue box? "Insert Photo" tab is located next to the smiley face.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the spots are part of my skin and i can feel them.
How long have you had them? Have you started with just one and then more came or did they all come up at the same time?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Two days. Those spots are there for last two days. all the spots came up at the same time.

Sorry i could not find the "Insert Photo" tab. There is not smiley face on my page. i could email you if allowed to do so

Unfortunately we cannot use email but above where you type there are several icons and one of them is used for attaching a picture.

Ok, since I cannot a picture, I will need to ask you a couple of more questions...sorry.

How big are the spots? Do they feel rough or are they under the skin? Are they on the sides of the fingers or top or palm side?

I need to step away from the computer for about 5 minutes but will be right back to read your reply.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No prob. The spots are rough and not under my skin. The size most probably less than an MM and it grows on sides of my finger also palm sides

Ok, thank you for your replies.

Given your age, there is a good possibility that you have small warts on your hands. Warts are viral and spread very quickly. Usually they are skin colored, slightly raised and rough and do not cause any itching or pain.

Another possibility is that you have spots called "stucco keratosis", however, these spots are usually seen on the legs and in older people so I do not think that that's what you have. Stucco keratosis are whitish small spots, just 1-2 mm and they are also stuck on the skin.

I don't think these are bites because they don't bother you.

I would recommend that you see either a dermatologist or your primary care provider if they do not go away on their own within a couple of days.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have. I will be happy to assist you further.

Best wishes and good luck,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you send a pic and show me how warts look like?

By the way, Recently i have been taking Vidorigyl, Choay & Efferalgan Codeine. Prescription by dentist because i just had a small operation for my wisdom tooth.

Is it allergy to the medicines which caused spots on my hand?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have uploaded to my picasa account. Please have a look and further explain. Very appreciated

Thank you for the picture. This gives me a better understanding.

You definitely don't have warts. It almost looks as if your finger is swollen? I can see it clearly on the middle finger, is it also on the 4th finger? any other fingers?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It happens on my left hand middle finger, ring finger, little finger and little bit on my palm. Also right hand Thumb and little on my palm.

I feel that it starting to spread and getting more.

just hope that it is not some kind of virus or diseases which could hardly be cured.

From the way it looks, it actually does look like an allergy and the fact that its spreading also points to that direction.

Here is what I would recommend - get some over-the-counter Hydrocortisone cream 1% and apply it today before bedtime, also get anti-allergy medicine, Loratadine 10 mg and take one today.

Tomorrow I will show this picture to a dermatology collegue of mine to get his opinion (if you don't mind) and will get back to you tomorrow as soon as I can talk to him.

It is definitely not a virus or disease which is not curable :) don't worry.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you Doctor. Your time and advises are really appreciated. Looking forward to your colleague's answer. hehe Thanks again & Cheers
You are welcome. I will write to you tomorrow. Talk then.

Good morning,

I did show your picture to my colleague this morning and he agreed with me that most likely you have a variation of dermatitis (eczema) on your hand. Dermatitis is basically inflammation of the outer layer of skin, sometimes it is related to certain irritants (such as wearing robber gloves or doing yard work using shovels, etc) and at other times we are never able to determine the cause of it.

Usually dermatitis process is itchy but occasionally it can cause no itchiness such as in your case. The treatment for dermatitis is a steroid cream (Hydrocortisone 1% cream is available over-the-counter), however, more often then not you will need a prescription steroid cream which is more potent that Hydrocortisone.

In terms of allergy issue - unless the rash is becoming symmetrical on both sides of your body and is affecting more then just hands, it is possible that it is allergic in nature. However, with allergies there is always itching.

I hope your rash has not spread.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I will be happy to assist you further.

Best wishes,