CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

Brown spots on lower left leg around my ankle

I have brown spots on lower part of my left leg around my ankle and just above the ankle. I am diabetic (Type 2) and slightly overweight, but excersizing now to reduce the weight. I keep my sugar under control, (between 80-140 all day every day) and am 60 year old white male. I just started getting these spots one or two years ago, just when was diagnosed with type two diabetes. Some folks say this is blood pooling in my lower legs (I also take a water pill) and the skin condition I see is old blood under the skin. Some say they are age spots. I put cream on my feet and lower legs every day, but this condition is only on the left leg, not the right leg, it' s really weird, is this condition harmful?? And how do I make it go away? My email [email protected] or [email protected]   Correction: there is some of this condition on the lower right leg around the ankle, but not near what it is on the lower left leg, where it extend one third the way up my lower calf above my ankle on the left leg. Hope that helps.

CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. The discoloration you are describing may be due to venous insufficiency. Per the Cleveland CLinic:

CamilleRN :

"

You can help prevent venous insufficiency with the following steps:

• Maintain a healthy body weight; lose weight if you are overweight.

• Exercise regularly.

• If you smoke, try to quit. Smoking is harmful to the circulation.

• Protect your legs from injury.

• Do not stand or sit in one place or position for very long; get up and move."

Customer:

Hi, I don't smoke, never have, blood pressure is 135/70, and I wear support hose to try and help my circulation. I Just bought an excersize bike for my house to sit on evey night and pedal to help improve circulation, but are these spots harmful? What are they?

Customer:

Are you there?

CamilleRN :

Yes I am here

CamilleRN :

No they are not harmful....

Customer:

Does this stuff repair itself with excersize?

CamilleRN :

it should improve with imporoved circulation yes... and exercise will improve circulation.

Customer:

ok, that's good enough for me, I'm intent on losing weight and it looks like that will be the key to my condition, thanks for the help, I will accept the answer the answer.

Customer:

Have a good day and thanks again