DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD

How does varient angina occur and How do the drugs that I was

How does varient angina occur and How do the drugs that I was given work to treat it I was given toprol-xl 200 mg and amlodapine 10 mg and nitro under-tung tablets as needed

Welcome to just answer,

Variant angina form of angina in which symptoms typically occur only when a person is at rest. It is caused by a spasm in the coronary artery.

Coronary artery spasm occurs most commonly in people who smoke or who have high cholesterol or high blood pressure.

When the spasm occurs heart does not get enough oxygen-rich blood, people with angina begin to experience chest pain.

The goal of treatment is to control chest pain and prevent a heart attack.

A medicine called nitroglycerin can relieve an episode of pain.

Amlodipine is in a group of drugs called calcium channel blockers. Amlodipine relaxes (widens) blood vessels and improves blood flow.

Metoprolol is in a group of drugs called beta-blockers. Beta-blockers affect the heart and circulation. These help to reduce angina attacks and to improve exercise tolerance.

I hope this helped.

Please do feel free to ask if you have any doubts/questions.