Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

my dad, had hifu done 3years ago but now its back his age now

my dad, had hifu done 3years ago but now its back his age now is 72 his gleason score is 7 i need to know what questions to ake when we go in to see doctor
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

I am sorry to hear your dad's prostate cancer is back.

HIFU is a relatively new treatment (5 years) and is not yet approved by FDA to be used in the United States as treatment for prostate cancer.

When you go back to see the urologist, you can ask the urologist to perform nuclear bone scan and CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis on your dad to make sure the cancer has not metastasized.

If it hasn't (and chances are it has not), I would recommend consulting with the urologist to see if your dad is a candidate for radiation therapy (which is still the best treatment option considering your dad's age) or a candidate for radioactive seed implant (2nd to radiation).

Other options include getting hormonal injection, called Lupron, every 4 months. This does not kill cancer but stops it from growing. It has a lot of side effects that your dad needs to be aware of before starting (hot flashes, breast enlargement, erectile dysfunction).

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when he did the hifu. he was getting hormonal injections. can he do it again? and thay dont know if it has metastasized yet.

I understood that he had HIFU. I was just saying that it is a relatively new procedure which is not well known and is not used in US.

You were asking what you should ask urologist when you go for follow-up. I recommend that you ask the urologist to make sure the cancer hasn't spread. The way its done is by doing a bone scan and CT scan of abdomen and pelvis. So you should ask the urologist to check these tests.

Yes, your dad can go back on hormonal injections but he needs to be aware that these injections are not going to cure cancer, they will just hold it at bay. There are other procedures that can be done which can be curative, for example radiation therapy and radioactive seed implant. You should discuss with the urologist these different treatment options but it is first important to know that the cancer has not spread.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I will be happy to help you further.

If I answered your questions, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.