Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

What can I do to counter a rash from chloraprep used in

Customer Question

What can I do to counter a rash from chloraprep used in surgery? I had my left shoulder scoped and it had a large packing type bandage. As I was wheeled out to my car, I began burning and itching all underneath. I saw that any where the prep was applied bumps and redness appeared, before I even left the hospital grounds. Been to dermatologist 5 times. They didn't have any answers. My wife called the anesthesiologist . He had no answer other than "I've never heard of this". The itching is terrible. The ONLY relief I have is to shower with extremely hot water. That seems to calm down the nerve endings or something.
Now here is the kicker: it finally wore off after 6 months of agony. Four years later, on or near the one year mark on the calender the rash re-appears. Same areas and severity. My wife (RN/BSN) says I'm crazy. I have received no help or answers from anyone. Oh by the way , my wife can see the rash, but thinks it's something else.
Can you offer any help or advice.
Thank you,
L.G Barberree
Submitted: 5 years ago via Patientsville.
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 5 years ago.
Dear customer, Greetings.Allergic reactions/hypersensitivity reactions may occur with Chloraprep.The allergy may cause urticarial rash and inflammation.The reactions may be to Chlorhexidine or isopropyl alcohol.Anaphylactic reactions with breathing difficulty and skin blistering,uricaria and skin burns have been reported with Chlorhexidine in sensitive individuals.Recurrent photoallergic response has been reported with Chlorhexidine and Hexachlorphene( vide site if interest- Fixed drug eruptions,severe contact dermatitis has been reported with the drug.Inflammation caused by such hypersensitivity may recur if lichenoid drug eruptions are seen.You need to see a Dermatologist who may do a skin biopsy to rule out other conditions.Use of short periods of oral steroids like prednisolone,alternate day oral prednisolone ,PUVa therapy may be used.Acute lesions may need local steroids and oral antihistaminics for relief.Your doctor/Dermatologist can guide you further.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have already been to a dermatologist 5 times with no answers. Two biopsies indicated nothing to where I could get some relief. Could one week of prednisone CAUSE A RECURRENCE TO THE ITCHING? Could Cipro cause rash and itching?
Some irritant chemicals have been known to cause a lichenoid contact dermatitis which can reoccur frequently.Use of oral prednisolone will usually not cause recurrence of symptoms.Oral and local steroids are often used in treating such itching.However symptoms of rash and itching may reappear after cessation/short course of steroids.
Quinolones like ciprofloxacillin can cause side effects of rash and itching.