Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics
4079050

Is there an alternative appetite suppressant to phentermine

Is there an alternative appetite suppressant to phentermine that doesn't interact with sertraline? I had to discontinue phentermine because I broke out in a rash and welts all over my body and I know it interacts with antidepressants. Phentermine worked for me because I lost weight on it. In the past I had been exercising at least 3 hours every day but could not lose weight because exercise just made me hungrier. Help!
Submitted: 5 years ago via AskDocWeb.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 5 years ago.
Hello Madam,

You can discuss with your doctor about using Orlistat for this purpose along with Sertraline.

There are some other options also available and I would specially like to mention Fluoxetine and Bupropion. You are already taking Sertraline and although most patients do not complain of weight gain while on this drug but if you are noticing weight gain because of it, Fluoxetine or Bupropion could be another good option as an replacement antidepressant for you.

Kindly also go through the link given below to find out some more options.

Pharmacological and Surgical Treatment of ObesityI hope this helps.

Regards

Vikas

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated.