Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
16698619

I have 6 small like calluses on my right hand. One on the upper

I have 6 small like calluses on my right hand. One on the upper palm and the rest on the inside of my first and second fingers. More on the first finger.My right thumb pad also....with very dry skin and cracking, making somewhat of a circle. When you stretch the hand, you can see that they are a bit darker than the skin. I have only one small callous on my index finger of left hand. What do you think?
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 5 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

Are these areas roundish with tops that are "cauliflower"-like, in appearance?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Valarie replied 5 years ago.

It sounds suspiciously like the areas you are seeing are common warts.

If you are in doubt about this, your doctor can easily diagnose common warts just by looking at them. They are caused by a virus, and are spread by person to person contact. Most commonly they are on your hands and fingers, but they can spread to other body areas as well.

There are a number of over-the-counter remedies for warts. They work for many people, but take some time and persistence. You can try these, and if they do not work, you can see your doctor for more aggressive treatment if you want them removed. Generally, warts will resolve themselves within 2 years (yes, years), or so, but many people like to remove them for cosmetic reasons and to prevent spread.

Until they are resolved or removed, keep in mind the virus (HPV, or human papilloma virus) can be spread to other people with skin to skin contact, or even if someone uses a towel after you.

Here is a link with more information: Common Warts

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my husband has a wart on his finger and is raised. Mine are not raised....flat. The place on my thumb opens up sometimes like a cut....very painful.
Expert:  Valarie replied 5 years ago.

Warts can appear different, some are flat, some are raised. Generally the top will be rough in appearance. They can also be different colors, white..pink..tan.

If your husband has a wart, the probability that you also have them is high.

It is not difficult to treat them. It just takes some time, and often the treatment must be repeated several times. There are liquid solutions you can put on them, patches, or over-the-counter freezing medication to choose from.