Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

I stopped taking pristiq last Wednesday, cold turkey. My cardiologist

I stopped taking pristiq last Wednesday, cold turkey. My cardiologist did not like me taking the medicine especially at a dosage of 100mg a day. I am just wondering if it is normal to have severe light headedness, fluttering feelings, headaches, sweats and eye pain when you stop the medicine? Also, how long will it take for these feelings to go away? Is there anything I can do to lessen the symptons? My cardiologist does not know how to help with this since it is not his specialty and the D.O. who put me on the pristiq has lost my trust because his over medicating me sent me to the cardiologist to begin with. Any help you can give is greatly appreciately!
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer,

Could you please tell me how long have you been using Pristiq and what was the reason you were on it? (depression? anxiety?).

Thank you,

Julia

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was on pristiq for 2 years for depression

Thank you for your reply,

Pristiq is one of the more common medications which causes withdrawal symptoms when stopped abruptly. If anyone has been on an anti-depressant (especially Pristiq) for more than 30 days, it should be tapered off very slowly, preferably over a month or two. The cardiologist should have known that so I am not sure why he didn't instruct you to such.

The symptoms you are experiencing are typical for withdrawal symptoms of stopping Pristiq. As a matter of fact these are the most common symptoms of withdrawal.

The usual dose of Pristiq is 50 mg daily, taking 100 mg is over-medication so your cardiologist was right about the high dose of it.

Withdrawal from abruptly stopping Pristiq can be up to several weeks. My recommendation would be to go back on Pristiq 50 mg until you feel better and then slowly start the weaning off process. Otherwise you can just weather out the symptoms for another 2-3 weeks. Unfortunately, there are no medications which will reduce the withdrawal symptoms other than going back on the medication and then slowly going off of it.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Julia

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss