Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

I have a dry, tight sensation in my esophagus. At times is

I have a dry, tight sensation in my esophagus. At times is feels like my throat is tightening up just at the point where my tongue goes down my throat. When I get this mild choking sensation my chest feels tight and a get a slight feeling of nausea. If I have this feeling off and on for the better part of the day, I feel quite fatigued. I am scheduled for a gastro scoping. What is causing this awful sensation? Is it related to acid reflux?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.

Do you feel any drainage down the back of your throat?
Have you been under increased stress?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. This sensation has been over two years developing, starting from a dry, uncomfortable esophagus (not back of throat) to a tight, mild chocking sensation. It has gradually gotten worse. This tight sensation can occur off and on almost all day long or some days not occur at all. Recently when I get the irritated throad and tight chest there is a warm sensation in the bronchial area and when I take breath in and let it all out it feels like there should be a wheezing feeling but there is not.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying,

Yes, the symptoms can be due to acid reflux.
It can also be due to esophageal spasms, although this is rare. Diffuse esophageal spasms can cause pain in the chest and/or difficulty swallowing. A barium swallow may be normal with this condition.

If the endoscopy is normal, I would discuss the possibility of esophageal spasms with the GI specialist. If this is what is going on, it can be treated with a certain type of medication called a calcium channel blocker (helps to relax the muscles), among other medicines.

Acid reflux is the more common cause, so it should be looked for first.

If you have not had a stress test, this should also be considered. The fact that you have it all day makes it less likely to be heart related. However, I do think it should be considered on the list of potential causes.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions,
I hope that you feel better,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!