Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

wife has a hemoglobin count of 5.7 What should we be

wife has a hemoglobin count of 5.7
What should we be feeding her, and what type of vitimans should we be giving her, also how do we "shop for prices" as we have to pay "out of pocket" is this LIFE threating

Dr. Singh :

Hi, A hemoglobin level on 5.7 is indicative of severe anemia and can potentially be life threatening. She requires a blood transfusion, she should go to the ER to have this done. There are a number of reasons for anemia such as blood loss, iron deficiency, vitamin b 12 deficiency, blood disorders, malignancy, etc. She will need a work up to determine why her hemoglobin level is so low on top of the transfusion. I recommend that you see a doctor/ER about it as soon as possible. I would not recommend trying home remedies at this point because the level is so low. So please take her to a doctor as soon as possible.

Dr. Singh :

Regards

Customer:

I'd like to send a fax of the blood test report. and the doctors recomendation (RX)

Customer:

he said

Customer:

He said, type and cross match 4 units (packed with red cells) and transfuse with 4 units (packed with red cells) does this sound roght

Dr. Singh :

Yes that does seem right. What that means is that he is wanting to match 4 units of blood with that of your wife's blood type and then transfuse her with those 4 units. With each unit of blood you can expect that your hemoglobin level will go up by 1 point given that she is not actively bleeding. So with a level of 5.7 at the end of the transfusion her hemoglobin should be around 9.7 (again if she is not actively bleeding). And although her level of 9.7 would still be considered low it is more acceptable and not life threatening.

Customer:

we tried to "shop" around but the hospitols won't "Phone" qoute, any way to get around this? or to find out how much it will cost

Dr. Singh :

unfortunately there is no way around this. You will just have to take her to a hospital and get her transfused. She can also possibly apply for emergency insurance if she is at a hospital emergency room setting which might be able to help with the costs.

Customer:

OK thanks you've done a great job I'm happy.........................

Dr. Singh :

you are very welcome

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
nom-ah-stay...mon-ah-stay-"G"
Namastay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
gave wife 3 units of red blood, it raised her # XXXXX to 9.2. How long do we wait to re-test her? weve heard all kinds of times from same day, to wait 2/3 months to see if her # XXXXX
Would recommend getting her retested in 3-4 weeks unless she starts bleeding or begins to feel tired more than usual then I would recommend getting tested sooner. Regards