Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

I dont have insurance now and I cant afford Lipitor, Nexium

I don't have insurance now and I can't afford my Lipitor and Nexium which I reallly need. Is there anything else I could take for the former prescriptions. I can't take statins.
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

A good substitute for Nexium (which is very expansive) is Omeprazole (brand name Prilosec). This medication is available over-the-counter and it is not very expansive.

Lipitor is a statin drug (you mentioned you cannot take statins). A cheaper alternative to Lipitor is Lovastatin or Pravastatin (both available for $4/30 day supply at Walmart or Target). If you were able to take Lipitor, there is a good chance you will be able to take one of these 2 medications. Unfortunately, there is nothing as good as statins that lowers cholesterol and prevents from heart disease.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,