Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

right knee..scrape wound to outerside of knee and is healing

i took a fall about four days ago and basically fell on all fours. worse was my right knee. have been cleaning scrape wound to outerside of knee and is healing. knee initially swole but has started to go down and i have been icing this area too. but the swealing and some bruising seems to have traveled down to my foot and this concerns me. I can walk fine on the leg and flexing is fine too except to the point of when it tugs at scrape wound and i feel nothing grinding around in my knee when i walk or flex. is the swelling and bruising in my foot normal and running its course or should i be more concerned?
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Yes, swelling and bruising on your foot is normal after a fall and trauma. What happens is you have some internal bleeding and, due to gravity while you are not in supine position, it travels down into your lower part of the leg and foot.

There is really not much that you need to do to treat this but if you wish, you can try elevating your leg as much as you can during the day. You can also apply ice to the foot. If there is no pain, you do not need to take any medications.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,