Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  Wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

I have brown discoloration of lower legs

I  have brown discoloration of lower legs (and numbness of feet) but no other symptoms of PVD. I am 69 and have had this for many years (maybe thirty or more!), but the numbness seems to gradually increase. I have no pain, no noticeable swelling, no weight prob (I'm a male, 6'3" & 190 lbs), blood pressure always around low 120s over low 70s, no diabetes, and cholesterol ok last time checked. Now I am semi-retired, but for most of my life I have been very active (for a non-athlete/sportsman) as a teacher/daycare worker/summer camp director (certainly not in "economy class syndrome" situations. Thanks for any help/advice you can give me. BTW, my dad's legs used to look the same way. (Mr.) Gale Callaghan

Brown discoloration of the lower legs is usually due too either venous hypertension or due to one of the pigmented purpuric dermatoses.

Venous hypertension or venous insufficiency is more common as we age and with obesity, but can also occur due to genetic factors, a sedentary lifestyle, smoking, long periods of standing or sitting at work. The valves in the vein fail to close completely. If these veins are not closing properly, you can get this type of discoloration from the remaining venous blood in the tissues.

The pigmented purpuric dermatoses are a group of conditions in which brownish splotches or patches occur on the legs. the exact cause is not known but some of them are familial.

The numbness you are experiencing is probably peripheral neuropathy. Since peripheral neuropathy can coexist with venous stasis, chances are that you have both these conditions.

Please consult your doctor for a detailed workup.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask a followup question if necessary. If not, please click the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.